Question...kinda urgent (not a medical issue)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
. If they can't do it when you take it in tomorrow I would find a different shop (well, actually, I would do it myself, but that's not for everyone :wink:)

Yeah... i can see the headlines now...."Authorities are baffled as diver entangles himself while trying to replace hose and suffocates" :laugh:

I've got 10 thumbs when it comes to this stuff (although its more from worry and lack of knowledge than lack of aptitude )

Thanks for the advice. If the guy can't do it tomorrow, i'll run it to the other LDS thats close.

If you search your own posts (there are so many of them) you have already sort of answered your own question.

On the last day diving before flying out it doesn't hurt to double your safety stops. On my last dive before flying I'll usually muck around in the shallows (5 meters) for 10 minutes or so (longer if I have plenty of air) to ensure i'm degassed.

Still - you're over 18 hours so unless you are really pushing the tables you should be ok.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I have a slightly different take on flying after diving.

The ONE most important factor is to be sure that you are not showing symptoms of DCI before getting on the plane.

One really good way to tell if you are showing signs of DCI is the 5 minute neurological exam. There are several sites that tell you how to do it and a good video on the site for the chamber on Catalina Is. CA. I don't have any of those links in this computer.

It is best for you and your buddy to do the 5 min neuro before diving to establish a baseline of normal. Then do a 5 min neuro after diving, any changes will be clear ond fairly obvious. You can do it again a few hours later of shortly before getting on the plane as an extra check.

If you look at the stats from DAN, most of the people who got DCI on a plane were already showing symptoms before getting on the plane. These people should have gone to the chamber rather than the airport.

Tassie_Rohan:
...but for 1-2 NDL dives with no contributing factors have there ever been any reported cases of DCS after 18 hours? Let alone 21 hours?.
Actually there are numerous repoprted cases of DCS after a single shallow dive, within the NDL, without flight, with an onset well after 48 hours. (An exact science this is not.)

Tassie_Rohan:
...Scubasixstring: let me change my statement to:

The weight of evidence is that you will probably live.
If I were a real curmudgeon (instead of a part time one) I'd point out that "living" and living after DCS are very different conditions. But its good to recognize that this is indeed a probability estimate... And I agree with your attention to precautions!

Snowbear:
A few things that can make for a lower risk of DCS from flying after diving....

- Keep your profiles conservative.... i.e. don't "push" the limits
- Make your ascents sloooowwww. You will offgas better, faster and more effectively if you ascend slowly and spend plenty of time shallow (less than 2 atm/33') than you will by doing a 30fpm ascent and a 3 or 5 minute safety stop. You are counting on finishing your offgas on the surface :wink:
- Stay hydrated before and after diving and stay away from alcohol

I'm sure there are more, but I'll let someone else chime in on them :D

Maybe one other thing, you might get up and walk around a little on the flight or at least get up and stretch occasionally so you are not sitting in a bent up confined position for too long.

Juls

MB:
Actually there are numerous repoprted cases of DCS after a single shallow dive, within the NDL, without flight, with an onset well after 48 hours. (An exact science this is not.)

So do you consider the currently accepted 18 hour no fly to be dangerous?

Agree its all about playing the probability game and not an exact law - I understand most people who get bent are still inside their computers NDL. However are a few cases of delayed onset DCS in the millions of dives conducted every year significant in terms of seting a no fly limit? I would expect that a neuro check would have picked up these cases inside 18 hour so Pipedopes suggestion sounds like a good idea.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
So do you consider the currently accepted 18 hour no fly to be dangerous?
"Dangerous" is a loaded word, about as misleading as "You'll be fine." The 18 hour rule is accepted by many organizations and is a favorite of most Carribean dive operations, for obvious economic reasons. I practice a 24 hour rule, with final dives very conservative, and post dive activity mindful of nitrogen status.

Tassie_Rohan:
Agree its all about playing the probability game... However are a few cases of delayed onset DCS in the millions of dives conducted every year significant... a neuro check would have picked up these cases inside 18 hour so Pipedopes suggestion sounds like a good idea.
"Millions of dives" per year is likely a vast overestimate, but among people who use accident analysis to establish gear and dive protocols, yes, a few cases IS enough establish expectations. I also like the Pipe's call for a neuro check, tho as a screening tool it would likely only pick up cases that are already within the DCS range. I doubt that it would pick up cases that would be caused by the flight.

Search function... many good threads...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom