question in divemaster manual.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry guys --all advice appreciated --seriously--Im getting frustrated.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 04:41 PM ----------

I think you're letting the fact that you're a mechanic get you way too caught up in the details of the coolant hose.

As folks mention often, for PADI the professional courses are not about how good a diver (or mechanic) you are... they are about following the systemic approach. Follow the system and the answer is easy.
Allright --really REALLY slowly cos clearly Im an eejut.
Whats wrong with my Logic?
odviously it being a fairly straightforward mechanical issue needing sorting is why Im not seeing trees from forest.
OK so leaks under control. We make a plan o head back to base or nearest port.
base and local Emergency services are notified our location, Course and issue.
next I brief the divers of whats going on then reiterate the emergency procedures on the boat and location of all emergency equipment.
Then I assess what repair facilities we have on board to effect a temporary or permanent repair.
Given skipper is driving the boat and Im the only DM on board then Im best to effect what repair we can if any and monitor the water level.
water level rising then escalate to life jackets on and prepare to leave the boat.

Frosty,

As others have stated, there is no "correct" answer concerning the specific actions taken. This question wants you to show that you understand the general steps for handling a problem. The problem in question 20 is very detailed, but the 5 general steps can be applied to the problem. You can fill in detailed specifics if you like.

The question has already given you the first step for handling a problem...Identify the problem precisely. A cooling hose has ruptured. What are the next steps for problem management? You being a mechanic or mechanically inclined is certainly a "resource" you have in your inventory for this problem, so it can be an element in any of the solutions.

Inventory your resources.
Create several possible solutions.
Choose the best and devote your energy to that solution.
Assess and revise the solution as you go.

My old manual says you have two duties--Keeping divers safe and keeping these customers happy. As you say, the first is pretty much done since they are on board (well, if rough seas come out of nowhere you can't help that--as long as you checked and it wasn't predicted). Fixing the problem will certainly keep everyone happy and diving (and maybe get you a big tip), but I would assume PADI doesn't figure you are a mechanic, as some DMs like me would hit the wrong end of a nail. So fixing it would fall into the Captain's hand.

I think you are confusing your roles they are different at different times. First I will tell you about myself. I am a certified PSD who volunteers with our small fire dept, in this roll i do dive recovery of persons, we do swift water rescue as well as all boat related rescue / water work , I am also a EMT who works with our Fire Dept Ambulance . If I respond as a medic my job is to treat the injured as they are brought to me, not go in the water to get them. If I respond as a diver then i recover all living victims not get one and then treat their injuries. Now my roles can change in the middle of the call such as all victims are recovered then i can shed gear and become a medic.

When you are on the boat as a DM your first responsibility is to the persons in your care. You can not and should not give a rip about the welfare of the boat until after you have seen to the safety of your divers. If you are head down in the bilge who's making sure your divers are putting safety gear on and moving to a safe location. You can become / or change roles and become a crew member or a mechanic / engineer for the boat but not until after you have seen to the safety of your divers and handed off the divers care to a competent team member, otherwise you are guilty of abandonment and would be liable to for any injury that they sustained while you were not caring for them.

sorry I genuinely don't understand our point.-maybe im stupid.
The divers are on board. No immediate danger to them
Im argueably the most qualified to fix the boat Skipper and I have already discussed this as he is showing me the problem.if not then I step aside for the marine engineer that happens to be on board.
By fixing the boat permenantly the dive trip goes on. Fix the boat in a temp manner and we head for the nearest safe harbour.
Either way you are protecting the divers by removing the source of danger.
Worst case scenario Plug the inlet in the hull and engine then run the pumps till the bilge is empty. drop anchor and wait for a hose to arrive or if she's running an aux then motor back on the Aux.
hey look Im serious here -please explain the flaw in my logic

I think you are confusing your roles they are different at different times. First I will tell you about myself. I am a certified PSD who volunteers with our small fire dept, in this roll i do dive recovery of persons, we do swift water rescue as well as all boat related rescue / water work , I am also a EMT who works with our Fire Dept Ambulance . If I respond as a medic my job is to treat the injured as they are brought to me, not go in the water to get them. If I respond as a diver then i recover all living victims not get one and then treat their injuries. Now my roles can change in the middle of the call such as all victims are recovered then i can shed gear and become a medic.

When you are on the boat as a DM your first responsibility is to the persons in your care. You can not and should not give a rip about the welfare of the boat until after you have seen to the safety of your divers. If you are head down in the bilge who's making sure your divers are putting safety gear on and moving to a safe location. You can become / or change roles and become a crew member or a mechanic / engineer for the boat but not until after you have seen to the safety of your divers and handed off the divers care to a competent team member, otherwise you are guilty of abandonment and would be liable to for any injury that they sustained while you were not caring for them.

come on, they are divers not toddlers. Surely, the OP can leave the divers sitting on the deck in a safe location for 30 minutes to go fix the engine without facing a class action suit. If I were a diver on the boat, I would be saying "forget about us, fix the boat!!!"

However, as others have mentioned, the question is academic and I think the author of the question assumes you have no skills other than being a divemaster.

I may have read it wrong but there was nothing in OPs original post about making sure divers were in a safe location nor that they had received any instructiions nor that they were issued any flotation devices nor that he had made sure the coasties were notified. He just talked about doing the engine work. If things should go south during or just after the repair he had better done the previous already.

you can assume nothing. If some small diver gets cold and huddles in the cabin when things so south really fast and the boat goes down stern first they risk being trapped by hatches, doors etc that are held in place by the incoming water. A professional sees to his responsibility before he takes on new responsibility, the DM in this case first addresses the safety of all his divers then addresses the boat problem. 2 Divers in Mexico died 2 or 3 years ago from that very same situation boat went down stern first a hatch floated up blocked the exit from the cabin and they drowned. In the question you only need to take a few moments to ensure safety for all then address the issue, but if you do not say that you have addressed the safety issues then you have not done so in the academic world.

you can assume nothing. If some small diver gets cold and huddles in the cabin when things so south really fast and the boat goes down stern first they risk being trapped by hatches, doors etc that are held in place by the incoming water. A professional sees to his responsibility before he takes on new responsibility, the DM in this case first addresses the safety of all his divers then addresses the boat problem. 2 Divers in Mexico died 2 or 3 years ago from that very same situation boat went down stern first a hatch floated up blocked the exit from the cabin and they drowned. In the question you only need to take a few moments to ensure safety for all then address the issue, but if you do not say that you have addressed the safety issues then you have not done so in the academic world.
Herb--My question has been really well answered (thanks a million guys).
BUT Im interested to carry on this discussion with you.
I see your point but my counter argument is that by fixing the problem either "properly" or by patching it up Im actually doing the most effective thing to ensure the safety of my customers. Reducing/ stopping the water leak means the pumps will empty the bilge and in the very worst case scenario the customers have a 40 foot long warm dry "liferaft"
OR even worst case I can't fix anything then Im seeing the water rising first hand and then able to move into evacuation mode as you suggest,.

best case scenario the dive trip is delayed by 30-60 minutes as I fix the problem-so customers are happy.

I see your point but my counter argument is that by fixing the problem either "properly" or by patching it up Im actually doing the most effective thing to ensure the safety of my customers.

I'm not sure if you are being serious here, but if you are...

You are taking a course to become a divemaster. Therefore, the course material would pertain to the skills that ANYONE qualifying as a divemaster needs to know. Obviously, the majority of certified divemasters in the world have no idea how to fix a boat engine, so I would assume that the correct answer (according to the agency that put the course material together) would not involve fixing the engine.

I mean, suppose you happened to be a billionaire taking the DM course. Would the correct answer for how best to take care of your customers be "call my helicopters and have them pick us up and take us all to Bonaire"..? :)

I'm not sure if you are being serious here, but if you are...

You are taking a course to become a divemaster. Therefore, the course material would pertain to the skills that ANYONE qualifying as a divemaster needs to know. Obviously, the majority of certified divemasters in the world have no idea how to fix a boat engine, so I would assume that the correct answer (according to the agency that put the course material together) would not involve fixing the engine.

I mean, suppose you happened to be a billionaire taking the DM course. Would the correct answer for how best to take care of your customers be "call my helicopters and have them pick us up and take us all to Bonaire"..? :)
Im hearing ya-and yep that's why I said I know the answer is wrong.But question said what would YOU do next.
Arguably the thing the billionare would do is not worry as the 40 footer is just the tender for his real bot anchoured off a few hundred meters

Back
Top Bottom