question for Zeagle BC guru's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn08

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a used Zeagle BC a while ago and recently took it to a dive shop to get a price on a replacement bladder. Supposedly this BC is 30 years old. Does someone know when Zeagle started making BC's ? Or how to find out how old it is ?

My Zeagle has a tag with a date on it. I am not clear when Zeagle started making BC's but they have been around for 30 years, actually since the 80's. It started out as a parachute company. I think it highly unlikely its 30 years old but it is not impossible. BC's generally outlast the diver as many quit before they get started! Zeagle is vague about when they started making BC's but likely in the mid 80's.

How does the place you took it too know the age? They must have a reason for dating it, and a way, so ask them.

Zeagle celebrated 30 years either last year or the year before. Send ScottZeagle a PM with a picture and he can probably help you ID it and let you know what can be done.

The first model was the Alpha. Many were red in color and had a rainbow swath of color sewn on the right shoulder which were narrow by current design standards. The bladder cover was elastic and had a sonic welded plastic 90 for an airway elbo coming up through a stainles steel ringed opening. The weight pockets would have looped nylon handles for releasing and the twin tank band would have a high quality SS buckle that cams a smaller diameter strap sewn to the 2" webbing. There are a lot of these still being used around here locally.
There could be a problem with the airway pulling apart from the bladder on your BC unless it has been replaced at some time by previous owner. I think 1981 or 1982.

This BC is blue and black. I can't find a model or serial number on it. The weight pockets have bottom flaps and a velcro flap closure. The inflation 90 does go through a stainless ring. The 90 has separated from the bladder. I liked the design because it has 2 straps to secure a tank vs. many have only one strap. My biggest problem has been the superior attitude of the local dive shops. It seems anything more than 2 years old, or anything not purchased at that shop is considered junk. I remember the Scubapro stabilizer jacket, from I think the mid 1980's, but i don't remember Zeagle at that time. I intend to keep my Fenzy for snorkeling, but I am looking to move up to a jacket style for scuba. I was quoted $200.00 for a bladder, and I need to compare that to possibly a used / rental BC.

If you post a picture of your Zeagle it would be much easier to tell what year it was made.

Mine is 20 years old and still going strong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom