Question for Regulators 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

latestartfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Is there a regulator out there that will vent bubbles toward the back of the head, not near the ears, or at least behind the ears, that has an interchangeable mouthpiece?

Or any good regulators that have interchangeable mouthpieces, or do they all have them?

Okay, so I'm one of the newer newbies out here, but I took an intro class the other day at the lds, LOVED IT, but it's raised a few questions...

Thanks in advance to all,

LSF
:coffee:

Atomic sells an add-on exhaust deflector but it's more designed to move bubbles away from your face. Atomic Aquatics Regulator Essential Accessories

Exhaust-delfector_S.jpg

Around 2005? Aqualung released the Mistral - an updated version of a vintage double-hose regulator of the same name. It vents near the 1st stage but IDK if the mouthpiece is interchangeable. Or where you'd get one now.

mistral_01.jpg

Seacure makes a better mouthpiece for just about every modern regulator. http://www.seacure1.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Your local dive shop should be able to get them - if not Scubatoys has them. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SCI

Is there a regulator out there that will vent bubbles toward the back of the head, not near the ears, or at least behind the ears, that has an interchangeable mouthpiece?

Or any good regulators that have interchangeable mouthpieces, or do they all have them?

Okay, so I'm one of the newer newbies out here, but I took an intro class the other day at the lds, LOVED IT, but it's raised a few questions...

Thanks in advance to all,

LSF
:coffee:

Yeah:

IMG_2865-1.jpg

IMG_2415-1.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2408-1.jpg

We are mostly diving here the Phoenix first stage with HPR second stage conversion of the USD Royal Aqua Master, a highly modified and modernized double hose regulator originally produced in the late 60s and early 70s. Exhaust exits behind the head, very quiet and smooth. Mine cracks at .4 inches on the Magnehelic, delivers all the air one could ever need and never beats my ears or gives me lock jaw or scares the critters away like the pie pan in the face designs of today.

N

Sherwood has a walrus exhaust Tee that is pretty effective.

The double hose configuration that Nemrod posted about really rocks. Rumour has it that VDH has something in the works to take common interchangeable mouthpieces but even the traditional bite wings do a pretty good job

In fairness to your first experience, once you get in to California water with a hood and all, the exhaust bubbles won't be the thundering shower you experienced in the pool.

Pete

Last edited:
I use both that I mentioned.

Pete

I've been diving Atomics since 2004.

617221_563284510354855_829360323_o.jpg

Hollis is scheduled to release this reg in March 2013.

If you really want bubbles out of your face, the doublehose is the best answer. It's a completely different experience. It does, however, come with it's own quirks and there is a technique to using them. I suggest that the OP get certified on a modern single hose reg, get a little experience, and then find someone with a high quality double hose, ideally a PRAM, who can let him try it in the pool.

I use both doublehose and single hose regulators, I like them both, but as I said it is a very different experience using one from the other.

One caveat, if your only experience is kneeling down in the pool, you will find that the bubbles are far less intrusive when you're in a face down position swimming along. Then, the bubbles tend to exit along the side of your face instead of ascending right in front. IMO there is little difference between the various exhaust tees and side exhaust....they're all going to blow bubbles near your face. Diving position is what really changes things, of course other than using a doublehose which puts all the bubbles behind your head.

Back
Top Bottom