question for OLY users with a hard wired strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Quick question

has anyone used a NON digital strobe ( nikonos, Sea& Sea, etc ) with a housed Oly, sony, etc. ) My question is does the camera send the Pre flashes through the external flash port or "hopefully" just send a single primary signal to the expernal strobe.

Chris

It depends on how you wire it up. If you only connect up the centre pin and ground the you can fire the strobe in manual (no pre-flash) with the trigger signal. I've only been able to get it to work in (A)perture priority and (M)anual shooting modes.
BTW, some of the older 'non-digital' S&S strobes can handle the pre-flash if you use an Oly TTL to Nikonos convertor.

ReyeR:
It depends on how you wire it up. If you only connect up the centre pin and ground the you can fire the strobe in manual (no pre-flash) with the trigger signal. I've only been able to get it to work in (A)perture priority and (M)anual shooting modes.
BTW, some of the older 'non-digital' S&S strobes can handle the pre-flash if you use an Oly TTL to Nikonos convertor.

so I take it that the OLY does send a preflash signal via the external flash port. bummer, can't see why they would have it do that

I did get another response on another forum stating that the Canon cameras do NOT do this and have been used with old nikonos strobes without any trouble.

ReyeR:

Hey ReyeR,

Any idea where I can grab a Oly - Nikon TTL converter?

- Dan

I've been using a Nikonos 105 with an Oly C5050 in a Patima case. Its like ReyeR said, its got the center and ground, and works in Manual (can't say as I've tried it in aperture mode). No TTL available, you have to set the flash manually.

I did get another response on another forum stating that the Canon cameras do NOT do this and have been used with old nikonos strobes without any trouble.
Chris, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Give us some details (housing / strobe / sync cord). The C5050/5060/8080 are very versatile and can be made to work with most strobes.

ReyeR:
Chris, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Give us some details (housing / strobe / sync cord). The C5050/5060/8080 are very versatile and can be made to work with most strobes.

just trying to answer a question for someone else who is thinking about switching from film to digi and has nikon strobes.

The Oly C5050/5060/8080 all have a 'Slave' flash mode (only for Aperture Priority and Manual modes) which doesn't emit a pre-flash. Either way, TTL or Slave flash mode, if you wire up the centre pin and ground to the correct trigger and ground pins of the bulkhead you should be able to fire the strobe (without the pre-flash signal) in manual.
Or if you prefer to optically trigger the strobe the see this: New Digital Life for an Old Strobe.

Back
Top Bottom