Question for Mexico regulars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this is loosely dive related....any and all help appreciated. I'm asking this of those of you who are regulars to Mexico.

Every year in December, my BF and I go to Akumal Mexico for a week of cave diving. Our driver/local land guide takes very good care of me. First year we went (2001) I was just out of a cast for a broken ankle 2 weeks before the trip. Roberto knew about my ankle and wouldn't let me carry the heavy equipment over the sometimes rough terrain. To this day, he won't let me. I tip him VERY well for his help. Every year after that, ('02, '03, '04 and '05) I have taken a gift for his little girl, something that isn't easy to get or readily available in Mexico. Isabela is an adorable little girl and she has no idea I bring the gift for her, the important thing being Roberto knows I appreciate his help. I also know that Roberto saves my gift for Isabela....telling her "Santa Claus" brings it.

Two years running it was a stuffed animal (white rabbit; brown moose w/ antlers) one year a cloth covered doll about 24 inches high, retro 70's clothing with a rubber face with long black hair and brown eyes just like Isabela. Last year it was an hispanic Barbie with 3 extra outfits. Stuff that packs well.

What should I take this year? Isabela will be 6 years old in October/November. Keep in mind I'll be taking it down on an airplane with weight restrictions and my cave gear is pretty heavy.

Your ideas are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Spanish childrens books and some cute girly hair stuff and play jewelry. Maybe a cute purse too.

If you don't want to worry about packing, the stores in PDC - Mega, Walmart, even Chedraui, have lots of toys out at that time of the year. You could buy something there and know that it's characters the local kids will know.

The Hekab Be children's library in Akumal has a very successful and active program for school age kids. The kids can't get enough of the books (they don't get leisure reading fun kids books in school and most parents can't afford those luxuries). They are awarded points for their reading and assignments that they cash in on "prizes." The little girls that age go nuts over the hair stuff and jewelry. It's a big deal to them.

Hope that helps. And I think it's great that you do this. I'm sure Isabella will have many wonderful memories of how good Santa was to here... We support the library program in Akumal because we love the area and the people and know that those adorable kids don't get the same opportunities kids here get. By our standards it takes so little to make a big difference to them.

Thanks for the ideas. I was checking Amazon last night for children's books in spanish. Question, for comparison, since you support the library in Akumal....if Isabela is 6, would she be reading at the same level as a 6 year old in the States? I don't have any children and I'm racking my brain trying to remember what I was reading when I was in first grade. As I recall is was picture books with a paragraph or two on each page. Sound about right?

Isabela lives in Tulum, but I'm sure they have something similar for the children there. I hope.

I like your idea of a book or two, and some girly things. I can definitely find girly things for her here to take with me. I'm also going to pick up an item or two in bulk from Oriental Trading for the rest of the children of the employees of DeRosa's. I've got my eye on the Christmas Rubber Duckys. They come caroling to us every year.

Diver Lori:
Thanks for the ideas. I was checking Amazon last night for children's books in spanish. Question, for comparison, since you support the library in Akumal....if Isabela is 6, would she be reading at the same level as a 6 year old in the States? I don't have any children and I'm racking my brain trying to remember what I was reading when I was in first grade. As I recall is was picture books with a paragraph or two on each page. Sound about right?

Isabela lives in Tulum, but I'm sure they have something similar for the children there. I hope.

I like your idea of a book or two, and some girly things. I can definitely find girly things for her here to take with me. I'm also going to pick up an item or two in bulk from Oriental Trading for the rest of the children of the employees of DeRosa's. I've got my eye on the Christmas Rubber Duckys. They come caroling to us every year.

For books for your friend's girl I would probably go with one that is a bit (maybe a year) below her age level and one that is at her age. If they haven't been doing alot of reading (which many just don't get a chance to do) then they will be a bit below their age level and might feel bad about having enticing books they can't manage.

Here's a link to the Akumal Library's blog site www.hekabbe.blogspot.com You could email Maggie (Maggiemk@aol.com) and ask her what type of books she would suggest for a 6yr old. She works with the kids daily so she'll have a very good idea of what level they read at and what's popular with the little girls in the area.

The carollers are adorable. That must be for the Guadelupe on Dec 12th? We are in Mexico every year over that time and it's a really big deal. The kids have go around singing to collect money. It's my understanding that part of what they get goes to toward a church donation and part they are allowed to keep. Usually the mothers will take what's not designated for their feast donation to the church and buy them sweets, a pinata,etc., and have a their own little fiesta. There's always a mad dash on the 11th when they're out trying to get every last peso they can.

scubawife:
For books for your friend's girl I would probably go with one that is a bit (maybe a year) below her age level and one that is at her age. If they haven't been doing alot of reading (which many just don't get a chance to do) then they will be a bit below their age level and might feel bad about having enticing books they can't manage.

Here's a link to the Akumal Library's blog site www.hekabbe.blogspot.com You could email Maggie (Maggiemk@aol.com) and ask her what type of books she would suggest for a 6yr old. She works with the kids daily so she'll have a very good idea of what level they read at and what's popular with the little girls in the area.

The carollers are adorable. That must be for the Guadelupe on Dec 12th? We are in Mexico every year over that time and it's a really big deal. The kids have go around singing to collect money. It's my understanding that part of what they get goes to toward a church donation and part they are allowed to keep. Usually the mothers will take what's not designated for their feast donation to the church and buy them sweets, a pinata,etc., and have a their own little fiesta. There's always a mad dash on the 11th when they're out trying to get every last peso they can.

Yes, Guadelupe. We usually are there the second week in December and enjoy cheering on the runners. This year we'll get there on the 9th. May I have your name to mention when I email Maggie?

I was looking at spanishtoys.com and found a big hardbound Disney book. 317 pages of Disney stories that would be good for her when sitting with her father or mother. I know her father will be able to read that to her in the interim. I also saw books that were more simplistic. But I will email Maggie to make sure before I purchase. Fortunately I thought about this early and didn't wait till the last minute!

I did stop by the dollar store today and picked up several girly hair do-dads, a few jewelry pieces and colorful cosmetic bag to put them all in. That and a few books should do just fine!

I really do appreciate your help, thank you!!

Lori, I sent you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom