Question for Local Photographers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a G10 in the Canon housing with a Sea & Sea YS-110a strobe. Shore diving in Monterey limits you to macro shots which the G10 is great for. Wide angle, not so much. Too much crap in the water and the G10's widest focal length on land is 28mm. It gets worse when you put it in the Canon housing. If you're thinking of adding accessories like a wide angle + macro lens, the Canon housing isn't the best option. It's the cheapest because it's very limited. (and I looked into my other options: Ikelite housing is way too bulky for me, the Fix and Patima are nice and "compact" but are ridiculously overpriced)

Also, if you want to see what the G10 can do, search for posts by Edvin Eng and Gilligan in the photography forum. Edvin's pictures are mind-blowing and infinitely better than some of the shots I've seen taken with an SLR. He recently switched to a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot, so that's another thing you might want to look into. (Some can take HD videos which I think is cool.)

Last edited:
Guys thankyou for all of input so far! I think I like the flexability of the p&s. I may eventually go beyond that but it would be a ways away! I am off to look at the suggested pictures in the photo forum

Thanks again!

I currently shoot with the G10 in the Canon housing with Ultralight tray and arms and Inon D2000 strobe. I've been shooting with this setup for a year now and love it. My previous rigs were the Canon S70 for about 2 yrs and S40 for 2 yrs as well. I'm planning on buying the Fantasea Bigeye dome port (Fantasea Line | BigEye Accessory Dome f/ Canon WP-DC28 | 5135) so I can get full use out of the 28mm lens.

Some recent photos with my G10 can be found here:
Channel Islands 2009 - Ericson Reduta (scubajunkee)'s Photos

Ericson

I currently shoot with the G10 in the Canon housing with Ultralight tray and arms and Inon D2000 strobe. I've been shooting with this setup for a year now and love it. My previous rigs were the Canon S70 for about 2 yrs and S40 for 2 yrs as well. I'm planning on buying the Fantasea Bigeye dome port (Fantasea Line | BigEye Accessory Dome f/ Canon WP-DC28 | 5135) so I can get full use out of the 28mm lens.

Some recent photos with my G10 can be found here:
Channel Islands 2009 - Ericson Reduta (scubajunkee)'s Photos

Ericson

Nice shots Ericson! I know a few people who use a G10 and I've been really impressed with all their pics. I like the flexibility you have with it as well. Was that what you used to take the video of the octopus on the North Coast a while back?

Michelle,

Yep, this is the same camera I used to shoot video of the octopus at Gerstle Cove last month. Here it is for those that haven't seen it.
YouTube - Red Octopus at Gerstle Cove's Marine Reserve

Thanks,
Ericson

That was an amazing find at Gerstle and the color on that video is great! I really want a G10...maybe even before I get a housing for my SLR. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom