Question for Key West locals/regulars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been down a few times and spent time on Rock Key, Eastern Dry Rocks, 9' Stake, and Ball and Chain.

I know that there's a lot of good reef diving, but which is the best? I thought that my trip out to Eastern Dry Rocks and Rock Key were the better of the four, but is there anything better? (i.e. more picturesque coral heads, more fish, obscure sea life, sharks sightings)

When I was down in Nov. the viz was crappy, so maybe I didn't get to experience 9' Stake and Ball & Chain at it's optimum.

And with that in mind..who hit's the better reefs? So far, I've only used Captains Corner, heard good things about Subtropic, Southpoint and Dive KW. (here and from a cousin that's used them, and word of mouth on my last trip) I'm trying to make my plans/decision.

Thanks!

Dang...can't believe there aren't any hits on this?

The four I've mentioned CAN'T possibly be the best that KW has to offer?

Anyone? Buhler? Anyone?

I've used Subtropic and was happy with them. Nice folks. They are located on the "back side" of Key West which requires 10 or 15 minute more boat ride, but no big deal to me.

But that must be the main diver tourist area to take folks, cause they took me to the Eastern Dry Rocks and the other spot might have been Rock Key. There is a tug sunk that is a popular site also. Vis was good at these sites (june) but I've dove better sites before.

Wish I had better suggestions.

mike

there isn't a lot of great diving around Key West, from what i understand. you
have to go out to the Dry Tortugas, or north to Marathon or thereabouts (?).
Key Largo also has some nice diving.

sorry i can't be of more help.

Frankly, there *is* better diving farther north, but topside at KW makes KW worth it. Besides, the only shark sightings I've had were on those reefs. :D I can't speak to the visibility right now as I haven't been able to get away from work recently to go. :mad1:

IMO, you can do worse than Captains Corner for the money, esp. if you have your own gear with you. The way I see it, all the KW dive boats are going to the same reefs anyway. And Captains Corner is a couple blocks off Duval Street if you happen to be staying near there (and who isn't). Besides the normal trips, after winter they have a twilight/night dive that I've been wanting to do, the Cayman Salvager in late afternoon then sunset on the boat then a night dive on one of the reefs. About the same price or cheaper than the one tank night dives from the other guys.

Subtropic runs a nice operation (though the conditions were pretty rough when I was with them). If you need to save a few bucks they are always running a $10 off coupon for their two tank morning reef dive in one of the free coupon/discount books that you can pick up when you arrive. DKW is great but is the most expensive esp if you need to rent gear ($100 + tip!). I have not used Southpoint yet.

If you have a car, then by all means check out Capt Jim Wyatt's Florida Keys Reef-Divers, Cudjoe Key near the 20 mile marker. They do reef dives at Looe Key, etc. with longer bottomtime than the KW operators do and on a healthier, less crowded reef. They are also closest to the Adolphus Busch wreck if that interests you. That might be worth renting a car for one day even if you are staying on KW the rest of the time.

H2Andy:
there isn't a lot of great diving around Key West, from what i understand. you have to go out to the Dry Tortugas,

The dive boat captain and divemaster told me the same thing. They said diving in the Tortugas was great! Partly because it hadn't been "ruined" by being over dived.

Buoyant1:
Dang...can't believe there aren't any hits on this?

The four I've mentioned CAN'T possibly be the best that KW has to offer?

Anyone? Buhler? Anyone?
Why not call Captain's Corner and ask them what the best dive sites are? In my limited experience there, the reef was pathetic. I dive up the road a piece at Looe Key, where the reef is in much healthier. Captain Jim Wyatt (of this board) has a shop/boat behind the Cudjoe Key Sheriff's Substation at mile marker 20 (or is it 21?) oceanside... great outfit... great diving! Check it out.

StSomewhere:
But its a long boat ride from KW...

it's a liveaboard or private charter. Dive boats can't really make it there and back in a day and get in diving. If they did it'd be real expensive and hard to fill all the spots on boats for those days to break even.

That's kind of what I was afraid of, but wanted to see if there were any
places I was missing (I know that in some areas there are popular
businesses that you see on all of the listings, but you miss the "little
guys") AND I was afraid that I've seen the "best"... nay, the most popular of
KW's reefs.

Unfortunately, this trip isn't affording the middle Keys side trips like
that last few. We're flying straight in and out (decent airline deal).

I DO want to check out Looe and Sombrero at some point (not to mention some
of what Largo and Islamorada has to offer) I found a good shop/operator
the last time we went through Marathon (Abyss) that I want to try the next
time we go through.

As I said, I have used Captain's Corner before (and liked them) and have heard from my
cousin that Dive KW is good (as well as Subtropic and Southpoint from a guy
on the my last trip) but wanted to see what else there was down there, if anything, that I may have been missing.

As far as Dry Tortugas, I know it's a great place, I was snorkeling there last year, but for diving, it's all live aboards so that's kind of out. (at least for this trip)

I'll have to check out Capt. Wyatt. That's actually do-able!

I was first thinking about a package deal, but maybe I'll just freelance a
few different operators ..who knows...

Thanks for the info! (I knew you had it in ya! hahaha!)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom