question for IT peeps or computer hobbyists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I need to pass a DB25 cable through a ½” hole in the middle of a stainless steel plate. I’d rather not do 20 or 25 splices. Does anyone sell a wire-your-own serial cable kit that doesn’t require soldering?

If any of you guys could provide a link for a product like this, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tim

I need to pass a DB25 cable through a ½” hole in the middle of a stainless steel plate. I’d rather not do 20 or 25 splices. Does anyone sell a wire-your-own serial cable kit that doesn’t require soldering?

If any of you guys could provide a link for a product like this, I’d appreciate it.

If you can find a pre-made cable with removable pins, you can use this:

Opentip.com: Wireless Solutions D Sub Miniature Insertion/Extraction tool

to remove the pins from the connector, slide the cable with pins through the hole, then re-install the pins in the connector.

Unfortunately, that's pretty old technology. Most cables today have molded connectors with non-removable pins and I don't know where you could actually find a cable with removable pins.

Other than that, if it's a real project with a real budget, I'd suggest running the cable then contacting an electronics technician to come out and terminate it for you.

Terry

Hopefully you understand what I've provided.

Unless the RJ45 contains a Tardis, I don't beleive it will handle all the conductors for a DB25.

Terry

DB25 Male Crimp Connector - Custom Cable Connection

They are an Amazon vendor and you can get the same part ordered through Amazon. You'll still have to crimp on 25 (or however many you actually need) crimp pins (sold in bags of 100 in the "May we also suggest link) which is a pain in the butt at times and you'll probably want to buy the plastic hoods to cover the connectors but you can definitely do it for fairly cheap and easy. You'll probably pay more in shipping than you will in parts. Chances of this holding up more than a few weeks on a boat in a salt water environment are pretty slim I'd say unless you liberally utilize silicone sealant.

Wormil's idea would work just fine assuming whatever you are connecting uses only 8 pins of the 25 (which isn't unusual). An RJ45 plug should fit through a 1/2" hole without a problem and you can easily get wire your own RJ45 to DB25 adapters.

DB25 Male Crimp Connector - Custom Cable Connection

Wormil's idea would work just fine assuming whatever you are connecting uses only 8 pins of the 25 (which isn't unusual). An RJ45 plug should fit through a 1/2" hole without a problem and you can easily get wire your own RJ45 to DB25 adapters.

Thanks, I'll check that out too.

I hadn't considered whether the instrument was only using 8 of the pins. If that's the case the rj45 adapter would be a good solution. I just assumed it must be using a large proportion of the pins.

This is in a lab environment, no water at all, let alone salt.

Thanks, I'll check that out too.

I hadn't considered whether the instrument was only using 8 of the pins. If that's the case the rj45 adapter would be a good solution. I just assumed it must be using a large proportion of the pins.

This is in a lab environment, no water at all, let alone salt.

it's the end casing that you want.They make it with holes with this little bleh tool that stuffs the pins in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom