Question for Commercial Diving for a career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GhostFace

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some answers from actual commercial divers I looked into this about 10 years ago and decided to do Computers instead and I feel like I made the wrong choice what more of a challenge. My question is how plentiful is work and the pay? I know the first couple of years you are a tender but just the pros and cons any info would be great thanks

Minimum two years as an apprentice (tender). The Gulf of Mexico is where the steady work is for divers. There are local inshore outfits, but the pay is lower for the steady jobs and high for the short intermittend jobs.

The cheepest school to get into the business is Youngs Memorial Jr. college in Lousiana. All the other commercial diving schools will cost you $15,000+. And there is Santa Barbara City College, if you can afford the rent in the area.

Tenders off shore were making around $12/hr last I checked.

I was looking into school college of oceaneering in Wilmington, California back in the day. How is the pay after 5 years in the field and if you want to travel to the gulf of mexico for work is there plenty. At the time I looked at it just got out of the military did not want to travel did enough of that but now my thoughts have changed being back for 12 years now

I don't know, I got the NDT certifications and did more time doing ultrasound on pipes topside for $20/hr than diving. I did go to the College of Oceaneering and I graduated with an A.S. Degree in Marine Science. The only other dive school that offers that is Santa Barbara City College.

There is work in the port area with companies like Muldoon's Marine Service, Blackledge Diving or Coast Diving Services, but they are on the lower end of the pay scale. You will also need to live near the shop so you can get there in :30 or less if called after hours for a ship job.

GhostFace:
I'm hoping to get some answers from actual commercial divers I looked into this about 10 years ago and decided to do Computers instead and I feel like I made the wrong choice what more of a challenge. My question is how plentiful is work and the pay? I know the first couple of years you are a tender but just the pros and cons any info would be great thanks

Hey there. Where do I start. First things first. What school are you looking into? Second Thing are you married? And last but not least how much to you THINK or WANT to make.

Let me start with #1 - There are not a lot of schools at which you would get your moneys worth. Except two schools. But on the other hand those schools are also expensive. DIT in Seattle WA, is among the most top notch school you are going to find, in addition you are also going to pay for the prestige from graduating from a prestigious dive school. And by pay I mean litterly. When I went it was well over $16,000.00. Was it a smart choice, who knows. Did I learn a lot yes I did. Would I do it again Definitely.

#2 - I ask if you are married because there is a little joke that floats around. It says
"Do you know what comes after Diving in the phone Book? Divorce attorneys." Which is true look it up. Commercial diving is very very hard on a family, Especially if there is kids. You are gone a lot if you are off shore. I am not saying that it always like that but from my experience and others. It causes more head ache then is worth it. I do know people that dive 150 days out of the year and take the rest off. Inland diving you are on the road a lot. and that is all there is to say about that. Drive and Dive is our motto.

#3 - Now pay, Offshore depends on the company. But I will say this. You work 12 hours on 12 hours off, 7 days a week. With the company I worked. OT was after 40 hours. I.E. Rate $13.00 X 40 hours = $529. Rate for OT $19.50 per hour x 51 Hours of OT = $994.50 Total Combined is $1523.50 a week. Yeah that seems like a lot of money. But also take into consideration that if you work only 6 months a year then you need to use that extra money to make it another 6 months. Now this is just an example of what could be made. In addition your pay depends on if you are a tender or diver. Most people don't get depth pay shallower then 60 feet I believe. Inland diving, now the pay is calculated by two things. Seniority and a %. You get different percentages depending on your seniority. Nice thing is if something ever happened in the family and you had to get home quick at least you would be close to and Airport. Now these are all my opinions. I am still involved in the Commercial Diving industry. But as a free lance diver. Some one needs a diver on a job they call me. I either take it or I don't. Do not forget if you want to buy a dive hat (depending on where you work) add another $3500-$5000 in the first two years.

So in conclusion it all boils down to can you make money yes, if you are dedicated and work hard. Will you get rich NO is the answer to that. If you were single maybe. Let me know if you have any questions about anything.

PaulSmithTek:
Hey there. Where do I start. First things first. What school are you looking into? Second Thing are you married? And last but not least how much to you THINK or WANT to make.

Let me start with #1 - There are not a lot of schools at which you would get your moneys worth. Except two schools. But on the other hand those schools are also expensive. DIT in Seattle WA, is among the most top notch school you are going to find, in addition you are also going to pay for the prestige from graduating from a prestigious dive school. And by pay I mean litterly. When I went it was well over $16,000.00. Was it a smart choice, who knows. Did I learn a lot yes I did. Would I do it again Definitely.

#2 - I ask if you are married because there is a little joke that floats around. It says
"Do you know what comes after Diving in the phone Book? Divorce attorneys." Which is true look it up. Commercial diving is very very hard on a family, Especially if there is kids. You are gone a lot if you are off shore. I am not saying that it always like that but from my experience and others. It causes more head ache then is worth it. I do know people that dive 150 days out of the year and take the rest off. Inland diving you are on the road a lot. and that is all there is to say about that. Drive and Dive is our motto.

#3 - Now pay, Offshore depends on the company. But I will say this. You work 12 hours on 12 hours off, 7 days a week. With the company I worked. OT was after 40 hours. I.E. Rate $13.00 X 40 hours = $529. Rate for OT $19.50 per hour x 51 Hours of OT = $994.50 Total Combined is $1523.50 a week. Yeah that seems like a lot of money. But also take into consideration that if you work only 6 months a year then you need to use that extra money to make it another 6 months. Now this is just an example of what could be made. In addition your pay depends on if you are a tender or diver. Most people don't get depth pay shallower then 60 feet I believe. Inland diving, now the pay is calculated by two things. Seniority and a %. You get different percentages depending on your seniority. Nice thing is if something ever happened in the family and you had to get home quick at least you would be close to and Airport. Now these are all my opinions. I am still involved in the Commercial Diving industry. But as a free lance diver. Some one needs a diver on a job they call me. I either take it or I don't. Do not forget if you want to buy a dive hat (depending on where you work) add another $3500-$5000 in the first two years.

So in conclusion it all boils down to can you make money yes, if you are dedicated and work hard. Will you get rich NO is the answer to that. If you were single maybe. Let me know if you have any questions about anything.

Thanks a lot of info thanks for taking the time i will look into it and make a decision

Also there is the danger factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The company I worked for lost 5 divers my first year, 4 my second year and 3 my last year (I left before mid year).

My first year was as a call out tender, second was as a call out lead tender with some diving, started diving on my third year and quit in April after 3 deaths in 3 months.

Got into computers and turned into a Unix Administrator.

Also there is no Diving in Commercial Diving!!!!!!!!!!!

It just so happens that your worksite is under water, I stop scuba diving while I was a commercial diver. Also being in a hat kills your SAC rate when you do go back to scuba.

Most of the diver that we lost were out of the school in LA. It was only a 3 month class where the COO is 12 months!

COO - translation = College of Oceaneering

Actually, there is a demand for commercial divers right now. One of the best choices is to go to Youngs Memorial JC. They will give you the training needed and at a lower cost, due to the fact that it is a public educational institution. If you decide to quit the industry later, you will not be out the cost of a private school. All diving is dangerous, but, there are companies that hire quality divers only... and treat them well.

The private school of choice in the Gulf area is Ocean Corp. in Houston. http://www.oceancorp.com/

Commercial diving is a young man's game, that is a young single man's game. I worked inland for a few years, then when the work dried up I pushed a transducer for a few years, after that I went back into the Military. Of course I got married in there some place.

College of Oceaneering AS Program!

If you have a Computer and Electronics background go to Oceaneering International's ROV program especally if your not young and very strong. ROVs are the wave of the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom