Question: Are 2nd stage <> hose fittings standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillAllbritten

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to reconfigure my hose lengths. In ordering hoses, can I assume that the brand I order (probably Halcyon, the one's I've seen are very flexibile) will have attachment fittngs that will work with my 2nd stages? The seconds are a Scubapro S600 and Oceanic Alpha 7. Just eyeballing what I've got now (I haven't taken the hoses off the 2nd stages yet), the Oceanic hose looks like it is one piece that screws into the second stage (although there are two hex sections, presumably for gripping with a proper wrench, it just doesn't look like the metal end fitting comes apart).

The Scubapro hose fitting looks like part of the end fitting screws into another part of the end fitting which is attached to the housing, ditto with my Mares gear which I have swapped around from time to time. The first stage will be the Mk25. (just trying to economize and not buy yet another second stage.)

This is probably clear as mud, certainly is to me.

I have no problem removing second stages from their hoses, have done it with my Mares setup on several occasions but the Oceanic hose and Scubapro hose attachments looked so different I thought I'd ask before I do it.

Thanks in advance, Bill

Sounds like you are maybe confusing the extra nuts and sleeves that can be part of the inlet fitting on the reg itself, with the nut on the hose.

Anyhow, except for a few oddballs, reg hoses are all pretty much the same and interchange. Some manufacturers, put funny nuts on theirs like SPs splined one which needs either a special tool or a vise grip and some padding, but the thread inside is the same so you can replace it with a standard, generic hose.

And a few manufacturers use a larger-than-usual LP port on the 1st stage for the primary reg, which may require an adaptor.

But you should be fine with the regs you mention. Just remember to use a wrench on the reg as well as the hose nut, so you don't put weird stresses on the reg housing or inlet fitting.

BillAllbritten:
I'd like to reconfigure my hose lengths. In ordering hoses, can I assume that the brand I order (probably Halcyon, the one's I've seen are very flexibile) will have attachment fittngs that will work with my 2nd stages? The seconds are a Scubapro S600 and Oceanic Alpha 7. Just eyeballing what I've got now (I haven't taken the hoses off the 2nd stages yet), the Oceanic hose looks like it is one piece that screws into the second stage (although there are two hex sections, presumably for gripping with a proper wrench, it just doesn't look like the metal end fitting comes apart).

The Scubapro hose fitting looks like part of the end fitting screws into another part of the end fitting which is attached to the housing, ditto with my Mares gear which I have swapped around from time to time. The first stage will be the Mk25. (just trying to economize and not buy yet another second stage.)

This is probably clear as mud, certainly is to me.

I have no problem removing second stages from their hoses, have done it with my Mares setup on several occasions but the Oceanic hose and Scubapro hose attachments looked so different I thought I'd ask before I do it.

Thanks in advance, Bill

Thanks for the note. The reg housing was on only finger tight, the male/female hose fittings quite a bit tighter, I think. I use two wrenches, will try a bit more pressure this PM, making sure I'm working on the hose and not the inlet.

Bill

Bump. The USD Regs have diff sizes on the between the 12,14 and 21 LP/HP but they also make the adapters so....You should be good to go with any "BIG NAME". I am not a smart man nor a rich man Jenney so I stick with my conshelfs. I have broke Ice with my Conshelf 21 and had no probs so it works for me. And definatly use 2 wrenches so as not to damage your housing.

Posidens are different as are a couple of dacor models, but most second stages use a standard fitting on the second stage end.

If you are using two wrenches to put it on you are putting it too tight. Although due to corrosion or the odd incredible hulk, you may need two wrenches to take the thing off. 3/4 and 11/16 on most...

housing from unscrewing, no real force other than to keep the nut against the housing from rotating, came right apart. I used just slightly more than finger pressure to reattach. Works fine

Thanks,

Bill

rescuediver009:
If you are using two wrenches to put it on you are putting it too tight. Although due to corrosion or the odd incredible hulk, you may need two wrenches to take the thing off. 3/4 and 11/16 on most...

You need two wrenches on most plastic bodied regs. On many plastic 1sts the inlet fitting/tube/whatever is held in position by just a flat or a tab on the plastic case. This is intended only to locate the part and cannot reliably withstand the torque of tightening the nut. If you use just a single wrench on the hose nut, this tab or flat ends up taking the torque, and the case can easily be damaged.

Also, even if you don't damage this tab, tightening the nut without the second wrench can crank the inlet tube so it is not longer centered, and the poppet lever will not be able to work its best.

The second wrench has nothing to do with overtightening, it is there to keep the inlet tube from turning in the case.

rescuediver009:

oxyhacker:
You need two wrenches on most plastic bodied regs. On many plastic 1sts the inlet fitting/tube/whatever is held in position by just a flat or a tab on the plastic case. This is intended only to locate the part and cannot reliably withstand the torque of tightening the nut. If you use just a single wrench on the hose nut, this tab or flat ends up taking the torque, and the case can easily be damaged.

Also, even if you don't damage this tab, tightening the nut without the second wrench can crank the inlet tube so it is not longer centered, and the poppet lever will not be able to work its best.

The second wrench has nothing to do with overtightening, it is there to keep the inlet tube from turning in the case.
Sorry bud, I think that this just became one of those things that gets looked way too far into. I mean we are talking about the simplicity of turning a nut. thanks for coming out though.

Back
Top Bottom