Question about weighting with doubles in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, if only concern is redundancy and being able to bail out, why not have enough on weight belt you can drop in case of OH#@#$T?
Usually i would try to make a perfectly balanced set up, in wet suit is bit hard as you know., and then have enough of weight i can drop.
Double wings are out of style lately :), also IMHO from 119 to hp100 very head heavy

Mike, if only concern is redundancy and being able to bail out, why not have enough on weight belt you can drop in case of OH#@#$T?
Usually i would try to make a perfectly balanced set up, in wet suit is bit hard as you know., and then have enough of weight i can drop.
Double wings are out of style lately :), also IMHO from 119 to hp100 very head heavy

I don't think that I would have any weight on my weight belt with the steel tanks and the wetsuit (even with the aluminum plate), that's the issue. At home, with the 119s, I don't need any weight even with my dry suit and heavy underwear!

If anything, I would probably be negative, hence the concern about redundant buoyancy with the steel tanks.

Now I COULD ditch the can light you made for me, but as you probably remember, I really like it! :)

Just dive the AL80 doubles! And just so you know...if you dive dry you won't be the laughing stock of Florida. We dive dry all the time down here.

First, no one will giggle at you if you choose to dive dry. Second, for those planning long dives, diving dry is the smart way to go, diving wet will have you chilled to the bone by day 2. Third, those who dive dry take their drysuit off and are ready to come inside in their undies. Wet folks have to shower and dry off. Last, you may borrow my dual rec wing for that trip. I don't care if they are out of favor, I have one. I have a real horse collar, too. I don't dive it much.

First, no one will giggle at you if you choose to dive dry. Second, for those planning long dives, diving dry is the smart way to go, diving wet will have you chilled to the bone by day 2. Third, those who dive dry take their drysuit off and are ready to come inside in their undies. Wet folks have to shower and dry off. Last, you may borrow my dual rec wing for that trip. I don't care if they are out of favor, I have one. I have a real horse collar, too. I don't dive it much.

Thanks, Frank!

OK, that makes sense... so if I bring the dry suit I can rent steel doubles for our Spree trip.

If I have the dry suit then I don't really need the triple redundancy of the double bladder, but if I go with the wetsuit, I would use the double bladder wing.

Maybe I'll ask the instructors for my other trip if they care one way or the other about the rig for training dives.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2014 at 09:52 AM ----------

there are some great deals on dbl. bladder wings out there........

Hollis C Donut Wing : Dive Addicts Inc : Hollis Products

At $90, I don't think it is a bad option.

That DOES sound like a good deal! But when I select 60 lbs, and "double bladder", it reverts to a single bladder wing for $109. Where do you see the double bladder wing for $90?

I picked up one of the 45lb double bladder wings last week for $99 (right before they lowered the price to 89) as I'll be taking ANDP this summer. My tech diving buddies have HP100's that they are going to let me use. Still considering going with AL80's for a balanced rig instead though.

If I had a drysuit I would definitely use it.

That DOES sound like a good deal! But when I select 60 lbs, and "double bladder", it reverts to a single bladder wing for $109. Where do you see the double bladder wing for $90?

Do you need 60#? They may be out. The $90 was the 45# double bladder..... I only use a 50# with twin HP120's in fresh water, so i was thinking you would be suited well in salt.....

there are some great deals on dbl. bladder wings out there........

Hollis C Donut Wing : Dive Addicts Inc : Hollis Products

At $90, I don't think it is a bad option.

I think Dive Addicts are sold out on the cheap Hollis double bladder wings. I got two from them!

Doctormike, unless you're in the Key Largo in July when folks are diving in shorts you aren't going to get laughed at with a drysuit. Most likely you'll have novice divers admiring and inquiring about it. Many native Floridians (who don't do tech/cave) have never seen one.

Do you need 60#? They may be out. The $90 was the 45# double bladder..... I only use a 50# with twin HP120's in fresh water, so i was thinking you would be suited well in salt.....

Yeah, I think that I figured it out... I guess a 45# would be OK, since I would only be using it with aluminum doubles and an aluminum plate in salt water. What do you think?

---------- Post added April 10th, 2014 at 10:35 AM ----------

I think Dive Addicts are sold out on the cheap Hollis double bladder wings. I got two from them!

Doctormike, unless you're in the Key Largo in July when folks are diving in shorts you aren't going to get laughed at with a drysuit. Most likely you'll have novice divers admiring and inquiring about it. Many native Floridians (who don't do tech/cave) have never seen one.

Just ordered a #45... pretty good deal!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom