question about wattage for HID lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking and getting a first canister light. My question is about wattage on the HID lights. I see the "into" level is 10w. How does wattage compare from a 10 to a 15 to a 21? I thought I read on Dive Rite site they had a 15w that put out "twice the light" as a 10w. Does this sound reasonable? I am looking for a used HID - (there does not seem to be used LED's). I do not have a specific dollar figure in mind, but If I buy used and can choose between an older higher wattage and a newer lower wattage, where is my money better spent? The reason I ask is I saw a used 21w for $500 that wasn't selling, but 10w HIDs at 350 seemed to sell very fast.

18w and 21w lights punch through dark water MUCH better than a 10w. In my experience, the Welch Allyn 10w bulbs (in a focusable lighthead) produce a pretty good beam, while the 15w bulbs are kinda yellow and just so-so. My 10w stays in my backup gear box 99% of the time. LEDs, while getting better, just aren't there yet for that tight laserbeam light that is so effective for communication in darker water.

To be real, just get a 21w or an 18w and call it a day. You'll thank yourself later as you won't have to upgrade.

LEDs, while getting better, just aren't there yet for that tight laserbeam light that is so effective for communication in darker water.

I totally disagree. There are some stunning LED based lights available now. But most are still using the wrong optics to produce tight light beams.

I have a 21w Salvo and love it. Have also had a UK light cannon (10w), and have buddies with 10w HIDs and 10w LEDs. The 21w HID does a much better job of cutting through the crud - it's a friggin lightsaber underwater.

I totally disagree. There are some stunning LED based lights available now. But most are still using the wrong optics to produce tight light beams.

Which LED can lights in your opinion are heading in the right direction?

Thanks,

Henrik

Wattage is not the only reason a light might sell or not sell. There are lights out there that are "orphans", where the company that built the light no longer exists and therefore it is difficult to obtain any sort of service. Welch-Allyn bulbs (found in the older Halcyons, and in Terkel lights, among others) are far more fragile than Brightstar bulbs, and that makes those lights unattractive to some of us. Some brands have a better reputation with respect to leaking or failing than others.

I have bought two 21W Salvo lights in the last year for very reasonable prices off the Deco Stop. If I were looking for a can light on a budget, I'd haunt that place until I found one.

Wattage is not the only reason a light might sell or not sell. There are lights out there that are "orphans", where the company that built the light no longer exists and therefore it is difficult to obtain any sort of service. Welch-Allyn bulbs (found in the older Halcyons, and in Terkel lights, among others) are far more fragile than Brightstar bulbs, and that makes those lights unattractive to some of us. Some brands have a better reputation with respect to leaking or failing than others.

I have bought two 21W Salvo lights in the last year for very reasonable prices off the Deco Stop. If I were looking for a can light on a budget, I'd haunt that place until I found one.
found one!
- I went with a dive rite LUX LED - one year old, good price

Which LED can lights in your opinion are heading in the right direction?

Thanks,

Henrik
Any of my lights that have been built using aspheric lenses:cool2: ,

MB Sub has now got a couple of aspheric lens based lights too. Their ones have adjustable focus which great by the looks.

The thing with LED's is they need to be treated differently than HIDs or halogen.

Example is its hard to get a tight focus with a LED and reflector but it is possible. Just use a very deep mirror polished reflector. But I see very few dive light manufactures using them.
I have on my desk a Catapult light. Its not dive rated but puts out a wicked tight spot using this type of reflector. The W300 Ultrafire is another example but only uses a 3 w LED.

Aspherics work wonders with LEDs but are not so great with HID or halogens when trying to get a tight focus.

Any of my lights that have been built using aspheric lenses:cool2:

But of course :wink:

MB Sub has now got a couple of aspheric lens based lights too. Their ones have adjustable focus which great by the looks.
Aspherics work wonders with LEDs but are not so great with HID or halogens when trying to get a tight focus.

Thanks Packhorse. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see the MB-Sub lights next week at Beneath the Sea. I'll check out the other light manufacturers as well.

Thanks,

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom