Question about vulcanized rubber suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know too much about vulcanized rubber suits. I am looking at buying a used one, so I have some questions.

Originally I wanted a trilaminate suit, but if this ends up being a good deal, I may take it. How do vulcanized suits compare to trilams? How durable are they? Any downside/upside to a vulcanized suit?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Darryl

dvleemin once bubbled...
Hi,
Originally I wanted a trilaminate suit, but if this ends up being a good deal, I may take it. How do vulcanized suits compare to trilams? How durable are they? Any downside/upside to a vulcanized suit?

They work very well. They are still the preferred suit for search and recovery units. They are very necessary for contaminated waters. They are easy to repair and keep clean. Mine is heavier than my trilam but about the same weight as my 200 CF. They need to be kept out of the sun as much as possible and watch for rot.

Biggest drawback is color!

Hallmac

Talk to bob3 he is the source for Viking suits, PM him.

I had a Viking sport in black and it held up pretty well for 10 years. It was my fault it didnt last longer, i didnt store it dry.

Andy

yeah i know bob3, i said i would send it for your evaluation. I still will, its just been crazy busy.

I bought my first Vking (Pro, now call Pro1000) 10 years ago.
It had 800 dives on it when I replace the zipper. I sold it at 900 dives.

I now have a Viking HD (heavy duty) commercial grade suit.
The zipper is heavier than the Pro. It's 3 years old and has about 400 dives on it. Repairs are simple like patching an inner tube.
20 minutes back in the water.

I have just added Sci-tek dry glove ring seals to it, and looking forward to this week ends dive. The water is 32° F here in Ontario now.

Mike D
:blfish:

From what I have seen, the vulcanized suits are about the same bulk as a trilam. You still have a rather thick material that has to fit around you and some think undergarment material.

The vulcanized suits are also about the same flexibility - it's a thick material on both suits.

The vulcanized suits are a LOT more durable though. It's more resistant to scratches, cuts, tears, chemicals...and you can usually repair minor holes w/ a bike tube repair kit =)

The vulcanized suits seem to be much better than a trilam from everything that I can tell.

I would say they are alot more baggy depending on what size you have. My 02 was alot more baggy than my DUI is now, not even close to a great fit, but it did the job very well. Surface swims were a pain due to the extra drag.

Viking customs are very rare i think.

Given its bulkier nature i would say Flexibility is not effected.

Andy

Rubber suits are NOT more durable then Tri Lams. No way are they more durable...

Rubber suits are. Easier to Decontaminate. ie. If you swim in sewage or chemical effluent you can clean the outside easily. And easier to patch. That's why Commercial divers use them...

On a Tri Lam you have an external material that will absorb some of the Nasties. Making it almost impossible to clean.

Rubber suits are EASY to patch. While trilams take longer. But they are definatelly not more durable. Rubber suits will also degrade faster as nothing is guarding the surface from Oxygen. It will become brittle and crack. And leaving it in the sun just speeds it up. Since there isn't anything guarding the rubber. Like in a trilam.

Rubber suits are easy to puncture. And easy to cut. It's rubber. They definately have there place. The Heavy Duty suits are a little different. But they are heavier then a trilam too. But the big reason for a rubber suit is they are easy to patch and decontaminate.

The trilam is basicly a rubber suit with 2 layers of material guarding it from abrasion.

Compressed Neoprene are the most durable.

And yes, I have a Gates Pro VSN 1100. And a Gates HD1500. So I have both types....

That's contrary to everything I've ever heard about drysuits :)

Interesting stuff...I'm going to have to read more on it or ask around. Nothing against you, I just like finding stuff out for myself.

Mverick is dead on. I had a Viking sport for years
and it seemed like I was always patching punctures. And they fall apart if you aren't anal about drying them before you put them away. Fortunately, they are the easiest suits of all to patch (use a bike tire kit) and are very comfy since the rubber is stretchier than trilam. OK suits if the price is good, but otherwise get trilam or crushed neo.

Omicron once bubbled...
That's contrary to everything I've ever heard about drysuits :)

Interesting stuff...I'm going to have to read more on it or ask around. Nothing against you, I just like finding stuff out for myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom