Question about twin tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I would say the first thing is to work out if you are overweighted in your doubles. Once you have your weighting right, then work on any other issues :)

Also, the doubles & wing combo will make a bit of a difference. Are you going to be diving AL or Steel doubles? I see you are in Singapore, so I'm thinking the water may be warm enough for wetsuit & AL doubles diving :)

I did 10+ dives before taking fundies in doubles and in those dives I didn't bother trying to "mess" with my valves, I just tried to make sure I could find them :D As well, I would recommend staying over a nice friendly bottom for the first few dives in case you have a buoyancy "OOPS" with the new gear.

Finally, if you are doing a valve drill and have someone watch you, make sure they know the difference between "I'm signaling that I'm shutting down a valve" and "HOLY CRAP I SCREWED UP AND GOT NOTHING TO BREATH" (though of course with 2 first stages, reaching back and turning one back on _shouldn't_ be a big deal :wink: )

I think once you get over the initial adjustments, you'll really find doubles a stable platform to dive. Best of luck in your transition.

Bjorn

P.S.: Lynne, not everyone you know has shut down all their gas :D

Hmm...I don't recall ever shutting down all my gas, but I have gone to a dead reg before. Oh well, just reach back and open the valve.

My first dive in doubles was dive 40, with a set of LP95s. Didn't really have any issues -- I found them to be quite stable. A few dives later they developed this mentality to plow me face first into the dirt...not sure why.

Right now I dive double Al80s and they're pretty easy.

I have to ask -- why does everyone say that if you drop your head, you're immediately thrown off balance? I've never really experienced this. Perhaps people don't pay attention to their trim when they go head's down?

P.S.: Lynne, not everyone you know has shut down all their gas

Okay, Bjorn, you're the exception that proves the rule . . . :)

I don't think I said that dropping your head puts you immediately out of balance, but if you are diving with your head chronically down, you've got to do something to fix the CG shift, and to see, and that usually means rearing your body up out of trim.

Okay, Bjorn, you're the exception that proves the rule . . . :)

I don't think I said that dropping your head puts you immediately out of balance, but if you are diving with your head chronically down, you've got to do something to fix the CG shift, and to see, and that usually means rearing your body up out of trim.

I hate being that guy...

Seriously, I don't find that I adjust for the position my head is in. Could be unconscious though. Maybe I change my leg position to counteract it without thinking about it too much.

One other thing I did find is that I have to be a bit more conscious about moving gas around in the wing side to side, versus diving a single. Usually after poking my head into some crevices and going out of trim :11: looking for critters :)

This is interesting to read seeing as I just got my first set of bands and manifold...

Oh, and doubles wing, and DIN Converters, and Doubles hoses, and...

Oh, and doubles wing, and DIN Converters, and Doubles hoses, and...

Oh, only the beginning . . . Do you have the can light yet?

My first doubles dive was at Cove 2 with Uncle Pug. It was like learning how to dive all over again. I floundered around, stirring up a tremendous cloud of silt just trying to get off the bottom. When I finally found a "sweet spot" and started to feel like I could actually hold a hover, he gave me an OOA signal, and the process started all over again.

Took me several dives to start feeling comfortable with them.

Lamont, on the other hand, was just the opposite. I took him out for his first doubles dive ... anticipating a bit of fun watching him go thru the same learning curve. We swam out to a buoy, gave each other the descend signal, and started our descent. He dropped down in perfect trim, stopped two feet off the bottom, looked at me, and gave me the OK signal.

Pissed me right off ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh, only the beginning . . . Do you have the can light yet?
No...

I am purposefully holding off until I get permission from my wife :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom