Question about training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppilot

Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping I could get some opinions here, particularly from any instructors that might be here.

Early in the summer I approached my LDS about a refresher course. The owner/instructor basically sold me on getting re-certified. I thought it was a pretty good idea, particularly since I was originally an NASDS diver, and they're now defunct. I told him I had my own gear and would like to use it.

Anyway, they called me yesterday, two days before the course, and asked me to bring my gear in so they can make sure it's alright. It's all just been serviced and is rather old. I brought it in and they refused to let me use the stuff in the class. The two points of contention were that they didn't want to have someone in the class with a weightbelt and an air 2.

I'm probably making to big of a deal about it, but...I decided to get re-certified because I want to be safe, and that means I want to use my own gear. I want practice sharing air with my equipment (btw, I know most people here don't like air 2's) and I want practice removing and replacing my weight belt, etc. Besides, both of these things are specifically mentioned in the PADI manual.

So...instructors, divers, what should I do? Are they right to insist on everyone having the same equipment? Should I just not say anything? Should I go elsewhere? What do you all think?

If you can't reason with them then I'd find another shop. Part of the reasoning may be that you are already a certified diver, albeit a rusty one. AirIIs are different that a standard octo, but I don't see why they wouldn / shouldn't accomodate you. All that said it isn't my shop...

Your right about wanting to use your own gear, you should be familiar w/ it. Go to the PADI website and talk to one of their guys. They are wrong. If they are the only ones in your area tell them your gonna borrow you buddies gear (as opposed to renting from them) see what they say.

Sounds like they kind of sprung this on you at the last minute. I think that they should let you know well ina dvance what the equipment requirements for the course will be. Lets face it, the reason shops offer classes is to sell equipment. It might be wrong but it's true.

As far as their specific equipment requirements, I think they have that right. I don't allow air 2's or split fins for most classes. I think the air 2 type alternates are junk and that the inflator/deflator belongs in the hand not in the mouth. Either I'm right or I'm just not qualified to teach their use. Either way non of my students are using them. Students haven't had any success with the propulsion techniques I teach when wearing split fins and I haven't figured out how to make it work so I make no attemp to teach those techniques to divers who wear them. Again either I'm right or I just can't figure it out and therefore I'm not qualified to teach their use.

As I understand it I have a student for dry suit and nitrox this weekend that currently uses split fins and I'm going ahead with the class. We'll spend enough time on shallow water skills to give me a warm fuzzy about being able to conduct the dives safely and then focus on the issue at hand which is the use of a drysuit and nitrox. Who knows, maybe the student will take interest in the techniques they see and will decide to try something else.

Divers who are determined to practice a style I don't teach are free to go elsewhere. No hard feelings here.

BTW, I like weight belts.

WaterDawg once bubbled...
Your right about wanting to use your own gear, you should be familiar w/ it. Go to the PADI website and talk to one of their guys. They are wrong. If they are the only ones in your area tell them your gonna borrow you buddies gear (as opposed to renting from them) see what they say.

There are no agency requirements that force an instructor to allow the use of equipment they don't believe is suitable. If there is, I quit. LOL

and select another store/instructor - I can't see any reason why they should/can do this.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Either I'm right or I'm just not qualified to teach their use.

You're right , when it's your class and you have made specific requirements beforehand, unlike this last minute BS.

You ARE qualified, you just don't wanna. :) If this were purely a refresher, I would teach the student with whatever gear he had (assuming safe and in good shape), advising and teaching him about possible better alternatives. I could certainly teach this guy how to use an AIR 2 to its fullest, limited as it may be.
Neil

I would go elsewhere.

You should ALWAYS practice with the gear you will be actually diving with.

It sort of sounds like the LDS just wants to make you buy new gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom