Question about the princentonm tec surge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firedogut

Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked one of these up and had a queston.

it seems that the switch has 3 postions. Right/Center/Left. On my light the center and left are off and the right position is on.

should it be ON/Off/ON? did i just get a defective one or is this one ok?

Also if i cover the top (where the light comes from) i can see light comming from around the seal.......if light get spass the seal won't water get pass the seal. I bought this light a few hours from where i live. before i call the shop to get a new one i just want to make sure this is not normal.

Hi. I had one of these. It flooded first time in the water. Never could get it to work correctly. Sent it back to dealer for full refund. Recently was in a LDS where he went through his entire stock without finding one that would work correctly.

Recommendation: Give it back and get something else. This thing is a bummer.

Comment: I own other P-Tec lights and they are just fine. In fact I recently bought their 1W LED and like it.

I was checking one out in the store and remember having that same question... I think middle is off and the other two positions are on.

I have a Tec 100 and Tec 40. They are both good, but I prefer the Tec 40. Its small, lightweight, bulletproof and hangs nicely on my chest D-ring...

The switch has only 2 positions: left (=OFF) and right (=ON). The little bump in the middle is to prevent the switch from accidentally switching; it is not a third position.

The Surge is sealed by an O-ring and the light you see is coming through the plastic housing and is not indicative of a problem.

Me and my friends have been using Surges for quite some time now and they are very powerful lights in a very compact package. We have never had any problems with them.

I like the surge, but I recently had one abruptly go out on me on a night dive. It had not flooded or anything you'd expect - the bulb had actually fallen off and was rolling around behind the lens. What I don't get is, the bulb actually appears to have been soldered to the circuit board, I can't plug the bulb back in. When I saw that I figured maybe the replacement unit was the whole little circuit board, but that doesn't look removeable and when I looked around on the web for the replacement bulb I see it's just a bulb.

I'll be taking this to the shop or contacting Princeton Tec, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the deal is with this. It seems like a wierd design.

...of course at the time this went out I was already using it as my _backup_ lite, as the batteries had pretty much died in my first light. :(

a year or 2 ago I bought the 3 light set that includes the Sea Star. I just read a description of this that says it comes with a regular bulb and a flashing red LED. Mine only came with the flasher. Was something missing from my package, or did they change what this comes with?

I had the same experience with the bulb falling out and rolling around behind the lens.
And not being able to insert the bulb into the "circuit board socket".
I took it back and was given store credit.

Damselfish:
a year or 2 ago I bought the 3 light set that includes the Sea Star. I just read a description of this that says it comes with a regular bulb and a flashing red LED. Mine only came with the flasher. Was something missing from my package, or did they change what this comes with?

They've always come with both. One is installed, the other is in the blister pack - you might have not seen it when you opened the pack, and it fell out. The LED is better anyway, since you get a ton more time with it.

Back
Top Bottom