Question about swimming ability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't worry you will be fine.

If you can swim at all, you will be fine.

Some people have trouble treading water, if you do, just inhale deeply and try to keep air in your lungs, the lungs are your built in floatation devices, you will learn a lot about using your lungs over the next couple of weeks, and probably the next couple of years to be honest.

Try going into a pool, or water, and tread water. Inhale real deep, you will bob around like a buoy, exhale all the way, you will sink.

Remember when you are in the water, and moving, short quick motions are not a good idea, they use too much energy and produce little help.

Use long slow motions when swimming, steady motions is probably a better way to put it.

Doing my NAUI OW cert right now, did the pool sessions last weekend. We had to swim 200 metres with no time limit or specific style of stroke.

We then had to swim 60ft under water, no mask, unless you wear contacts, and then tread water for 10 minutes.

About 3 students struggled with the 60ft under water and I believe a couple of these students were told they would not get their Cert until they could achieve this, but were allowed to continue on with the class. It will be interesting to see if they are at the Lake and Ocean cert dives this weekend.

My 13 year old took 5 attempts, doing the 60ft, coming up between 20 and 30 feet on the first 4 attempts. He finally got his three quick and deep hyperventilation breaths right and managed the 60 feet.

I'm 49, I came up at what I thought was way past 60ft on my first attempt, but it was around 57ft, so I did had to do it again a couple of minutes later and came up around 68ft.

Hope this helps.

60ft? I would have flunk that. Thank goodness I got my C-card before that. :D

TheNemoEater:
60ft? I would have flunk that. Thank goodness I got my C-card before that. :D
Shame on you, if you can hold your breath for one minute, that is one ft per minute, do you know how slow that is???? Try walking at that speed.

If you cannot, you should take some time to practice and workout. There is a very good reason for that skill, you may need it one day.

ChrisEdwards:
Doing my NAUI OW cert right now, did the pool sessions last weekend. We had to swim 200 metres with no time limit or specific style of stroke.

We then had to swim 60ft under water, no mask, unless you wear contacts, and then tread water for 10 minutes.

About 3 students struggled with the 60ft under water and I believe a couple of these students were told they would not get their Cert until they could achieve this, but were allowed to continue on with the class. It will be interesting to see if they are at the Lake and Ocean cert dives this weekend.

My 13 year old took 5 attempts, doing the 60ft, coming up between 20 and 30 feet on the first 4 attempts. He finally got his three quick and deep hyperventilation breaths right and managed the 60 feet.

I'm 49, I came up at what I thought was way past 60ft on my first attempt, but it was around 57ft, so I did had to do it again a couple of minutes later and came up around 68ft.

Hope this helps.

Glad to hear you have jumped that giant hurdle. There are two aspects to the above test, first having the strength (which is not that much), and second being relaxed. If you are relaxed then they should be easy. On the other hand, it is hard to relax, because, after these are "test"

Good luck and hope to see you diving.

Puffer Fish:
Shame on you, if you can hold your breath for one minute, that is one ft per minute, do you know how slow that is???? Try walking at that speed.

If you cannot, you should take some time to practice and workout. There is a very good reason for that skill, you may need it one day.

Our Instructor only took us to 41 and I think thats NAUI's limit for beginning scuba diver. :yippie17: Otherwise, I just posted the flunking part to be funny, sorry if it sound serious to you and seem like I cheated. Maybe thats what I'll learn in the advance class. cheers.

ga40456:
I'm planning on getting my SCUBA cert a few weekends from now (weekend clases, dives the next weekend) and I'm a little nervous about the actual swimming aspect of it- I know that soudns stupid (we're going to be in the water, obviously there is going to be swimming required) I haven't actually swam any distance in several years- I can swim and am not going to drown or anything like that, but I'm still a little nervous. I'm not planning on doing any really vigorous diving- I will admit to being strictly a 'tourist' diver. Can anyone offer any advice or words of wisdom on what type of swimming is required? Thank you!

Most organizations require that you freedive to a great depth where you must, find and return to the surface, with the most voluminous boulder possible. Whoever has the heaviest boulder is certified, and the others, if still alive, have to try again next time.

Do the swim with mask, fins, and snorkel. No problem for just about anyone. Most could probably do 3000 meters instead of 300.

Treading water for 10 minutes was BORING! Floating around on my back, glancing at the time. I thought the hands on the clock were stuck! But it's one of those things you've got to do.

i just had my PADI OW course last weekend and before then i was really nervous about that part where they have to require you to swim 200 meters as a pre-req. my DM/instructor did tell me however that i dont have to necessarily do that; he just needs to be satisfied i can make use of my swimming abilities (which isnt really much at this point) at the surface or underwater. fortunately, for my sudden surge on my love for diving, i seem to get around.

but the fins are really bothering me. i have still to get used to it.

but the fins are really bothering me. i have still to get used to it.

I had a similar problem. I started doing 20 minutes in my pool, arms hanging on the side, 8lbs in a weight belt, just kicking with my fins. After about 5 days I noticed I could work right through my leg cramps. I also switched to some split fins and it was noticably easier.

Back
Top Bottom