Question about swimming ability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't necessarily agree that if you are a poor swimmer you should'nt take up SCUBA. People learn new things all the time, after all nobody is born knowing how to swim. You must learn.

If you are a poor swimmer, work on it. Swim laps maybe even take a lesson or two. By all means though it should not stop you from learning SCUBA. By the time you finish your OW class you will be much more comfortable in the water than you ever imagined. The swimming requirements for the class are really pretty easy so go for it. You should though keep working on your swimming skills to get better. It will come much easier with practice.

jpsexton:
I don't necessarily agree that if you are a poor swimmer you should'nt take up SCUBA. People learn new things all the time, after all nobody is born knowing how to swim. You must learn.

If you are a poor swimmer, work on it. Swim laps maybe even take a lesson or two. By all means though it should not stop you from learning SCUBA. By the time you finish your OW class you will be much more comfortable in the water than you ever imagined. The swimming requirements for the class are really pretty easy so go for it. You should though keep working on your swimming skills to get better. It will come much easier with practice.

Let's be honest here.......Alot of the responses on this thread (I would say the thrust of the replies) are saying that you don't have to be a good swimmer (ie...ever) to enjoy scuba (implied) safely. That is dangerously wrong & could cost someone their life!
You are quite right in saying ...."nobody is born knowing how to swim. You must learn.".....Like any other skill, swimming has to be learned......but you need to first learn to be a strong, confident swimmer before you risk your life (& that of those around you) by actualy venturing out into deep water.
I have seen my share of people do fine in the safety of the pool but get into a complete panic the first time a very minor problem occurs in the ocean.
Take the OW course sure.......but learn how to swim (without any assistance from flotation devices, fins, masks, wetsuits,snorkels, etc) so that you could manage ...oh let's say at least a 30 minute swim in cold choppy water......That would be my test.

We can debate the minimum swimming skills required all day but I'll make 2 points:

1. The minimum swimming tests for the PADI & other basic divers courses are dangerously easy & unrealistic. (swimming a few laps in a heated, indoor pool is fine if you plan on limiting your scuba diving to heated, indoor pools! (It is quite different however, than having to swim any distance through cold, rough seas back to a beach or boat for real diving)
2. The swimming skills of a scuba diver should be good enough for him/her to have complete confidence that they could make an unaided return to boat or beach in any conceivable conditions!

Devil505:
Let's be honest here.......Alot of the responses on this thread (I would say the thrust of the replies) are saying that you don't have to be a good swimmer (ie...ever) to enjoy scuba (implied) safely. That is dangerously wrong & could cost someone their life!
You are quite right in saying ...."nobody is born knowing how to swim. You must learn.".....Like any other skill, swimming has to be learned......but you need to first learn to be a strong, confident swimmer before you risk your life (& that of those around you) by actualy venturing out into deep water.
I have seen my share of people do fine in the safety of the pool but get into a complete panic the first time a very minor problem occurs in the ocean.
Take the OW course sure.......but learn how to swim (without any assistance from flotation devices, fins, masks, wetsuits,snorkels, etc) so that you could manage ...oh let's say at least a 30 minute swim in cold choppy water......That would be my test.

We can debate the minimum swimming skills required all day but I'll make 2 points:

1. The minimum swimming tests for the PADI & other basic divers courses are dangerously easy. (swimming a few laps in a heated, indoor pool is quite different than having to swim any distance through cold, rough seas back to a beach or boat)
2. The swimming skills of a scuba diver should be good enough for him/her to have complete confidence that they could make an unaided return to boat or beach in any conceivable conditions!

I see both sides of the equation.

The first is that you are usually in a group, with a BC and probably close to a boat/terra firma. Thus the logic and assessment of risk indicates that strong swimming skills are not needed. You should be able to manage for a few hunderd yards/minutes so that you can get to the other members to get help. Makes sense.

The other side says that since you are in an environment that is hostile to human beings, being able to swim well is absolutely needed in case there is no help and it will take more than a few hundred yads/minutes before you get help.

But then again, if you have to swim 5 miles in the sea, or tread water for 3 hours.....(without flotation) you are going to be 'tired'... probably drown (unless you are a REALLY good swimmer, you may make more miles). So then the question begs, is swimming the most important thing?

I think the agencies put a line in the sand where they felt it was good enough for 99% of the cases where these skills would be needed. It also sets the standard where more people can enjoy the sport.

we could go into a discussion of what you should be prepared for and how to do that, but that is not at hand here.

I personally am a very good swimmer and would have not started diving if I were not. I would have learnt do be a better swimmer first.

Devil505:
I don't mean to single you out here but I selected your post (as representative) from the many others here who admtt to being poor swimmers. (even one scuba instructor who "hates" swimming!?!) First of all.......Why would you chose scuba diving as a sport if you don't like or even feel comfortable in the water??? (If I had a fear of heights I wouldn't chose walking a "tightrope", mountain climbing or Sky Diving as a sport!? )I don't get it ?? (If you are trying to prove to yourself that you can overcome your fears you are being terribly unfair to any unsuspecting dive buddy who may have the misfortune of getting you as a buddy one day & possibly lose his/her life trying to rescue you because you suffered a minor mishap (like losing a fin or mask in rough water.)....& panicked!
Having lost a dive buddy (to a heart attack-http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=158926) & having had to tow his body back to shore for almost 30 minutes, I may be a little more emotional about this subject than others but I think it would only be fair to require you to wear a sign saying:

Warning: Terrible Swimmer With Death Wish!!
(if you are my buddy...we are both gonna die!)

If you really feel the need to commit suicide.........play "Russian Roulette".......by yourself!!!

I see your point and sorry for your past experiences. From my point of view though, I saw SCUBA as an interesting motivation to learn to be a better swimmer and become more comfortable in the water. I really didn't know how I was going to react, but I found I really like it and am determined to improve my skills. I know I'm not a great swimmer but I have confidence in what I can do now, and that will grow the more I learn and practice.

To me the greatest safety factor comes from realizing our limitations and not pushing the boundaries. I would never dive in a situation that would put me beyond my comfort level of swimming back to the boat or beach, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm well aware that my gear may not always work as planned! As my skills improve I might try more challenging dives, but I know my limitations. I think most of us do, regardless of our skill levels, and we should all try to use some common sense when diving.

As for the fear factor, well that's not why I decided to SCUBA. I wanted to experience the underwater world and have some fun. In fact, I am scared of heights and also enjoy skydiving, but that's common misconception as there's no sense of height when you're in the air. I'm often reminded by my skydiving students that they appreciate my attention to all the details before taking them up. In skydiving I always error on the safe side and won't risk anyone without proper analysis of the situation and skill levels involved, and I approach SCUBA the same way. There's always another day to dive.

I do find it interesting to read the varied opinions this much-contested topic. Thanks to all who've repsonded!

I would think that swimming and being a good swimmer are pretty important to scuba for the panic factor as much as anything else. It's pretty scary being in an ocean big enough to drown in a million times if you don't have that basic knowledge. I have always been a swimmer, swimming 4-6 times a week from the time I was 3 years old, but I've gotten out of it in the past few years so I joined the Y recently and made it my goal to swim 100 miles. I want to be at least 1/2 way there before my first open water dive. Swimming is great for improving your lung capacity, which surely has to be a plus in scuba, and it's a good way over the winter to at least keep up your fitness levels and stay in the water in some capacity.

A couple of points in response:

“….I see both sides of the equation.

The first is that you are usually in a group, with a BC and probably close to a boat/terra firma. Thus the logic and assessment of risk indicates that strong swimming skills are not needed. You should be able to manage for a few hundred yards/minutes so that you can get to the other members to get help. Makes sense.”……….

In other words.”……..I don’t have to be able to help myself…I’ll just stay close to others so that they can be responsible for saving my butt!.” ( & should someone else need help, well…….”Don’t look at me buddy!…. I have my own problems!”

Another Reply:
“…To me the greatest safety factor comes from realizing our limitations and not pushing the boundaries. I would never dive in a situation that would put me beyond my comfort level of swimming back to the boat or beach, and I'm perfectly fine with that”

It’s just amazing how things have a way of “getting beyond your comfort levels” all by themselves!

Example:

A few years ago I took a friend out diving on my small (20&#8217:wink: boat. We anchored just a few hundred yards from a rocky shore, suited up & went in for an enjoyable dive. The weather was sunny & warm and the sea was very calm. We were down (the water is only about 30’ 40’deep in this location) for aprox 45 minutes. We had noticed that it had gotten quite a bit darker down below & when we resurfaced all hell had broken loose! A mini storm had hit the area quite suddenly & our peaceful afternoon got pretty dangerous! My boat was bobbing around so heavily in the swells that merely approaching the stern (where the ladder is) meant you had to time it perfectly to avoid being killed by the 120HP outboard engine… slamming up & down in the seas! To make a long story short, we both managed to get aboard safely but we had to cut the anchor loose so that we could Hi-Tail it back to harbor.

I think my point is pretty clear…..

ga40456:
I'm planning on getting my SCUBA cert a few weekends from now (weekend clases, dives the next weekend) and I'm a little nervous about the actual swimming aspect of it- I know that soudns stupid (we're going to be in the water, obviously there is going to be swimming required) I haven't actually swam any distance in several years- I can swim and am not going to drown or anything like that, but I'm still a little nervous. I'm not planning on doing any really vigorous diving- I will admit to being strictly a 'tourist' diver. Can anyone offer any advice or words of wisdom on what type of swimming is required? Thank you!

I thoguht I was going to fail the swimming test, I was the last one to finish ive always been a poor swimmer. (and speller) when I got too tired to swim I would float on my side (cant float on your back) and kick/swim I found that alot easier.

Swimming can be a important part of the sport its something that requires some fittness. (for obvious safty reasons). I am now going to the pool around the corner to swim alot to become a better swimmer (and I plan to go for divemaster)

As for the just vacation diving thing, be carefull and it would be a good idea to get refresher courses every couple months.
Enjoy!!

If you are the Best swimmer ever, will it do you any good if you catch a cramp in your legs or lower back?

Once I got a horrible cramp while swimming in my lower back to where it was impossible to kick my legs, after I dove into the deep end. I was already underwater when the cramp kicked in. Luckily the water was only about 9 feet deep, and when my feet touched the bottom, I was able to push off the bottom just enough to go back up. I was in so much pain, I could not even panic. LOL

So if you are a great swimmer, and you are out in the ocean swimming and began to cramp up bad, either your arms or legs can only last for so long.

SuSexFulDiver:
If you are the Best swimmer ever, will it do you any good if you catch a cramp in your legs or lower back?

Once I got a horrible cramp while swimming in my lower back to where it was impossible to kick my legs, after I dove into the deep end. I was already underwater when the cramp kicked in. Luckily the water was only about 9 feet deep, and when my feet touched the bottom, I was able to push off the bottom just enough to go back up. I was in so much pain, I could not even panic. LOL

So if you are a great swimmer, and you are out in the ocean swimming and began to cramp up bad, either your arms or legs can only last for so long.

You know.......I never thought of that!! We are all gonna die anyway...So why not today!! What's the point of knowing how to swim anyway?

Could even a great swimmer overcome these problems:

1. Suppose an airliner crashes into you?
2. Suppose the earth's supply of oxygen runs out just as your tank emptys?
3. Suppose you suddenly burst into flames 70 feet down?!?
4. Suppose your bcd suddenly turns into a bowl of warm mashed potatos??

I cramp quite often, if you have air in your lungs, you won't sink like a brick. When I cramp, I just float and work the cramp out.

And in choppy water, this will probably be salt water, it's even easier.

I also found out, in preparation for my OW class, having not used fins for many years, my legs cramp fairly easily. Being fortunate enough to live in FL and have a pool in my back yard, I started doing 23-30 minutes of just kicking with my fins, wearing a weight belt to keep my lower body down and the fins in the water, just holding onto the side of the pool. My legs would start to cramp about 5 minutes into this exercise, but if I slowed down the power stroke I could work through the cramp and it would go away.

I still think being a good swimmer and confident in the water should be necessary for scuba. I don't think you need the ability to swim long distance, but more the ability to not panic when suddenly thrust underwater unexpectedly.

My 11 year old daughter will be doing her OW Cert next spring. I would not even dream of letting let do this if I did not feel she was ultra confident in the water.

Back
Top Bottom