Question About Simple Digital Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's me again...I've been reading a lot about the pros and cons of digital and film... I want a suggestion on a good digital camera and housing for around $600 or possibly less.

I dive in waters up to 100 foot, but mostly around....let's say 40-80 feet. I dive mostly in the ocean, the springs on occasion.

All input is appreciated...I am just confused on which way to go...I am a new underwater photographer.

Andrea

Scubagrl....Not all of the Olympus PT housing will be available in the US. Only the PT-14, 15, and 16 *I think*. But you can buy any of them now at Underwater Digital. Most of the prices are around $250.

Andrea...you remind me of that Ray Stevens song "It's me again, Margaret"! :Rofl: If you go with something like the Oly 3020 and a PT-XX (I'm not sure which PT case fits it) you should be able to shop around and stay within your price range, or at least very close to it.

....for the info. The PT016 houses both the Stylus 300 and 400, and, according to Olympusamerica.com, will be available in the US in Spring, 2003 for $199.95.

Adorama is also carrying the PT housings in the US and their price is amazing!

Adorama listing

I have an Olympus C-4040 in a PT-10 housing, S&S YS90DX strobe, Fish Eye tray, S&S WAL L additional lens.

My new Olympus Stylus 300 just arrived, battery is charging! The manual and software instructions do not look too awfully difficult for this beginner photographer, so that's a great first sign. I'll take some pics topside during my travels to Arizona next week, then hopefully will have the housing for Okinawa diving this fall and Bonaire again next winter.

Dee.....I will definitely order the housing from Adorama......great price! Thank you so much for posting that link! You know, another quick couple features about this camera that I learned....it's weatherproof...the case is aluminum and vulnerable openings are sealed with rubber, so even in a downpour it's supposed to stay together. Also, it came with a remote control, so tripod shots can be taken without setting the timer. Cool!

It's a really nice looking camera. I still have the film-cousin of it, similar weatherproof concept. The only drawback with a camera like the 300 is that you have to pull the cover back and put it in the housing which means the camera is on. Ofcourse it should go into sleep mode and not kill the battery.

Please share your experience with it and the housing :) and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom