Question about Secondary SPG Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Alright, I'm getting a Cobra for Christmas. The question is, I currently have an analog SPG/depth gauge. Can I attach the analog console to a low pressure port on the first stage as a backup, or does it have to be attached to a high pressure port?

Thanks.

Aggie Diver

It has to be a high pressure port. Otherwise your analog gauge would only read 150 PSI or so, which would be the intermediate pressure of your first stage. That's why there's "high" and "low" pressure ports.

Anyway the LP and HP ports are different sizes, to prevent the wrong hose being used on the wrong port in the first place.

I figured it couldn't be that simple or straight forward.

Thanks for the reply.

AD

Hey AD,
I dive the cobra and although I have two HP ports on the primary, I keep the spg in the bag for back-up if the cobra goes down, along with a misquito on the wrist for back-up. If you're checking your air often enough, you'll know about how much air you have, should it fail, and abort the dive, hook up the spare and dive your backup.

Course UP says use a bottom timer and your brain.

tony

Thanks Tony,

I'm a big fan of common sense and using your head, which entails most of what you said. I'll keep the analog stuff in my bag.

I'm not too worried about the Cobra failing or anything, just trying to maximize my safety factor.

Ag Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom