Question about restricted breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingdutchmen:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am not pushing her at all, I mentioned that she should give it a try again and she said maybe sometime. I wish I could go back and not do the resort course. It was obvious that they didn't prepare us well at all, and after they took us out they said that we were in some of the roughest seas they had seen in awhile. There were eight divers on the boat and five got seasick, including some experienced divers who were going along videotaping. She definetaly panicked while in the water, she said that it was because she couldn't breathe very well, but then her mask leaked and she had to ascend and get back on the boat. All of that aside, she loves the water, snorkels, swims all the time, basically lives on the lake during the summer. I am the manager at our city pool, and the dive instructor that I am getting certified through is going to come do a discover SCUBA session here in July. He said that he would bring his high end reg down for her to try if she wanted, but I wasn't sure if I should even ask her try again without some more "formal" training or if putting her on SCUBA in a heated pool and with nicer equipment might make her say 'this is pretty fun' . I just don't want her to have another bad experience and be turned off of SCUBA diving forever.

I think a discover scuba lesson with a intructor friend of yours that can relate to her more 1 on 1 is a great idea, especially before forking out the cash for "formal" training. Maybe even a private lesson for a few bucks, before considering the "formal" training.

From her apparent interest, I get the ‘feeling’ that what is entailed to dive just may not seem appealing. (It’s unfortunate when one interest is not shared but I bet there are things she enjoys that you cannot imagine why any one would.)
But feel free to offer again, perhaps after hearing of your adventures – definitely continue to dive with out her – she may reconsider. If she ‘lives on the lake’ I’d say you have an excellent chance of success, and from instructing (other sports) I have a suggestion.

Pick a ‘good time’ and bring up the subject again, in the gentlest way you can, practice tone and wording. I’m thinking the ‘vibe’ she receives from you is; offering the opportunity, thinking she would really want to experience and share the good things scuba diving provides. Make no indication that; it’s easy, all you got to do is… or I just know… anything about she feels or thinks. If that is well received then offer the heated pool as you suggested and private one on one, instruction.

You sound like a caring and considerate partner but she’s already had a ‘bad’ experience, perhaps in more ways than you realize. I think it would be important to go out of your way and make what may seem ridiculous over kill steps to insure she has a ‘good’ experience. Avoid letting her know to what great lengths you have gone for her until you are trying to CYA about some unrelated faux pas.

Approach LDS’s or private instructors with the situation; do they have someone they think would fit the bill, possibly experience with children. With young children’s short attention span you have to have a lot of tricks up your sleeve.

Then, interview the instructors. If possible find maybe three that are intrigued by the challenge, willing to adapt and try a different approach. Avoid someone that encourages you not to bother because it’s just not for everyone.

Insist well suited, meaning variable size and configuration, high quality equipment is available and will be used. You, she and the instructor may think, say a minimal BC would be less restrictive, but then perhaps a vest with no sternum strap might turn out to feel better. This may mean going way out of your way to rent or borrow. Insist the mask and snorkel are comfortable, do not let it slide because she has already demonstrated comfort snorkeling. You want to have everything comfy to focus on the diving aspects, not a distraction adding to the uncomfortable new skills. Take every opportunity for her to be relaxed and not assume that she should be.

Then have her meet the instructors and choose who she’d like to have a go at it again with. Remember she will know best who feels good to her.

Ask if she would like you to accompany her to the lesson or not and respect her choice with no discussion unless she initiates it. Encourage her to immediately voice her feelings and concerns to the instructor. Stay neutral if she wants to tell you about them, you discussed them before and didn’t get anywhere, listen but let the professional deal with them.

Then have no part whatsoever in the lesson. Nada, not observing, not even thinking she wouldn’t know if you did. There are, perhaps subtle and unintentional, pressures evoked by your presence, eliminate them entirely.

Be open to discussion afterwards but do not insist, let her lead.
If discussing; be prepared for her to babble about every little thing they did.
Avoid asking questions, instead repeat what she says and praise everything that she is pleased with. If you’re feeling a bit silly, you’re probably doing it right and she’ll let you know when you can stop.

Be prepared for the bulk of the lesson seeming to involve speaking with little actual skill work and ready to provide more time or lessons.

Be prepared for her to be in tears, angry or disappointed and perhaps at another time, ask if she wants to try a different instructor. Be prepared for her never wanting to do that again.

Be prepared for her wanting to show you what she can do, and how easy it is.

Be prepared to reward success with a treat, preferably something you know she likes and is some sort of a sacrifice for you to give.

Be prepared for her to want to share the wonderful experience of Scuba Diving, real soon.

Be prepared for her to dive the pants off you in no time.

I had the same experience as your girlfriend. me and my hubby were at a resort. My husb. did fine. I gave up after 10 minutes in the pool at the resort. I blamed it on clausterphobia. But I recently did a scuba class here in TX and was able to get over my fear. I realized what the problems were at the resort. #1. I couldn't understand the instructors accent. #2. two hours of dive instructions and then going into the ocean is not good enough, and in my opinion is stuuuupppiidd. #3 I realized what my main problem was when i first put my head under the water in the pool here in texas, the bubbles from my regulator were really harsh going up next to my face, and against my mask. i couldn't get used to those silly bubbles. it was a moment of clarity that that is why i freaked out at the resort. the instructor(here in tx)started to tell everyone to calm down & relax and just get used to it. Well i decided to freak out inside my mind. so for the next minute or 2 i silently cursed my husband for asking me to take this course. But then i finally listened to the instrucor and calmed down and breath---, and magically it started to get better and i started to enjoy it.

Don't feel bad to ask your girlfriend to try it again. I think most scuba places will let people just try scuba in the pool at first to get used to it, and then they can decide if they want to do the class or not. I think it's called discover scuba. ask her about it and tell her many people had the same experieices with first trying it at a resort. she should also find her a good mask with the help of the scuba place, and she can use it in her pool to see if it fits her well.
Sorry this is soooooooo long. I just had a lot to say. =) good luck

From my years of teaching scuba, I would narrow in the mask...she said her mask was leaking...on a new dive that would be very distractful and induce apprehension and fear. This inturn would cause her to breathe shallow and increase carbon dioxide levels making the perceived need for air much more evident

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom