Question about poor zipper quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Replaced the zipper on my DUI CF300 drysuit in November 2011, and already it seems that the new zipper is facing serious wear...

I don't know if it has something to do with the design of the zipper, but it is the classic style zipper that DUI has on their suits. It seems that the wear is right at the bend of the zipper, where it bends over the left shoulder.
Really thought a BDM zipper would last longer than this. It doesn't leak yet, but I've still ordered a new zipper, this time a tizip masterseal and I really hope the quality of this product is better than the standard metal zipper.

Anyone else have similar experience?
DSC_0165.jpgDSC_0166.jpg

If you have access to a sail maker, see what they have........They also have the machines that can sew a new one into a suit...........

Getting the new zipper installed is not a problem, I'm just a bit frustrated with the poor quality of the bdm/ykk zipper. Really expect it to last longer than this, don't even have 100 dives on it.

Sail-makers/marine interior fabricators (benchs, seats etc. ) usually have a wide selection/stock of zippers, in all lengths that may work better than originals.......

How has it been maintained/stored?

(På den annen side... hva sier FUE?)

OK, j2s - I'll look into it :)

Zipper has been stored open and waxed regularly, but I suspect the fraying would have occured anyway.

I have a YKK zipper with rubber that appears to be dissolving after 2 years of use.

I have a YKK zipper with rubber that appears to be dissolving after 2 years of use.

Are you talking about the thin rubber coating that forms the seal on the zipper right at the teeth? I'm facing this exact problem on a FLX 50/50 right now. I just bought it used for $150 :D and tried it out and there's massive leaking all along the zipper :depressed:. I inflated the suit and put soapy water on the zipper and the air was escaping right at the zipper tooth seam. I looked closely and sure enough that vinyl/plastic/rubber is worn away. I have 8 other drysuits :dork2: and this has never happened to them. The zipper otherwise looks to be in great shape. I'm wondering if I can put McNett Seal Cement along this area to fix the leak.:confused:

Yes. I tried aquaseal , CAREFULLY applied to the edges @ the closed zipper to stop the fraying. It worked for a little while, then wore off. The zipper frays with every use. When I have a replacement zipper (TIZIP?) in hand, I may try to aquaseal the sealing faces just to see what happens, but I don't think that will work. Good luck.

Hey wait, you can just take it to DUI and ask them about it. I would love to hear their opinion/explanation.

I had the same issue with BDM. The zipper started fraying after 50th dive. It was partially caused by a poorly placed seam on the outer zipper flap and partially by the type of wax I used - the softer parafine like wax that was gumming up an fraying the zipper eges just like yours. I stopped using that wax and switched to a liquid one. Although the outside was completely worn the zipper lasted for 300 dives and never leaked. I replaced it before the season started to avoid surprises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom