Question about o-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loctite or Permatex actually do sell "universal o-ring" kits that can be used to MAKE up almost any size and width or o-ring. They include material by the foot, a cutting jig to ensure square cut ends, and a special adhesive to join the cut ends. Places like Grainger and McMaster usually stock those kits.

But being able to just buy a proper factory-made o-ring from a third party would be more trustworthy to me.

SONY have a kinda carnivorous attitude toward their customers. I noticed it in the late 90's when I sent a backup tape drive in to them for warranty repair, and was told it would take 4-6 weeks to turn around. What, six weeks for a mission-critical device that is supposed to be used daily?? That can't be swapped out with another repaired unit, or replaced? And then later, after I sent in a Discman for repair (at their instruction) to be told "Oh, we don't fix these anymore." Then again with a microFM radio, where I found four bad solder joints, plain lousy assembly. And two sets of SONY headphones, where the ear cushions literally were melting and shredding. And a carefully handled replacement did the same thing in just a year, while a third-party version made from better plastic had no problems.

SONY has some very attractive cameras, but their attitude toward customers has me reluctant to have any dealing with them. Maybe they've heard how much some dive shops are charging for VIPs and decided that divers are just low-hanging fruit?

Just be aware Viton o-rings need a different lubricant to silicone o-rings. The Sony o-rings are than likely silicone (Are they coloured or black?) If you use the wrong lubricant the o-ring may swell. It may pay to switch to a universal o-ring lube if you use one silicone and one viton o-ring.

Universal lubricant: +1 on that!

Some years ago I got a sample tube of Krytox intending to use it for an esoteric application, greasing an extreme high temperature high carbon contamination pressure cylinder that everyone said "Can't be greased, nothing will stand up to it." Uh, yeah, with Krytox my intensive cleaning regime became simply "wipe with cotton rag" and all the carbon came off.

I fell in love with the stuff, cost be damned it lasts a long time.

That will work on any o-ring, any plastic, any environment without degrading, migrating, or causing damage. Yes, I stil have and use cheaper lubes, but any time something is either critical or damned onconvenient to lube? Put comes the Krytox. Actually more expensive that what shops typically use for oxygen service--but perfectly suited for that as well.

I would be extremely suspicious that the Sony housing uses Viton o-rings, I would bet that they are silicone. And there are two sizes, I suspect they are not the same size. In any case, get the o-ring and test it out. Since they are silicone with no compression set they should last a long time. Get some Tribo/Christo/krytox lube and all will be well.

Thanks - I was wondering what the G120 referred to. I've found a supplier which sells them for around £5. So I can buy a few and get free delivery.
Did you ever try this out on a dive? Was it vitron?

G120 is a size. You can get them with various rubber chemistry but does a 4.5 inch circumference sound right?
Bill

Just be aware Viton o-rings need a different lubricant to silicone o-rings. … It may pay to switch to a universal o-ring lube if you use one silicone and one viton o-ring.
Is this Super Lube "with syncolon" a universal lube for o-rings? It's recommended and sold by theoringstore.com
G120 is a size. You can get them with various rubber chemistry but does a 4.5 inch circumference sound right?
Bill
I'm wondering if that is the inner o-ring then? The outer one (on left in this diagram), and the one I'm looking for, is more like 15" circumfrence. Mine is grey color but this looks like the right one. I'd like to find it at theoringstore.com because I'd also like to order a spare o-ring for my Oceanic ProPlus 4 computer at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom