Oceanic ProPlus 4 o-ring size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know the specs for the Oceanic ProPlus 4 battery compartment o-rings? Oceanic reports the "battery kit" part # is FBA_04.6175.95. It seems that also is used for earlier ProPlus models. I'm looking to add a few spare o-rings to my kit.

Does anyone know the specs for the Oceanic ProPlus 4 battery compartment o-rings? Oceanic reports the "battery kit" part # is FBA_04.6175.95. It seems that also is used for earlier ProPlus models. I'm looking to add a few spare o-rings to my kit.
I can't confirm that the PP4 uses the same, but PP2 uses size -028. Durometer 70.

I can't confirm that the PP4 uses the same, but PP2 uses size -028. Durometer 70.
Thank you. Oceanic gives same part number for PP4 battery kit as the one used for PP2 & PP3 so I think it's safe to assume it's the same o-ring.

Any thoughts on material? Read Buna-N was stated by Oceanic for another computer. But that there might be an even better material choice?

And is Durometer 70 and 70A the same?

Looking at this on Amazon. 250 of em for 66% of the price of an Oceanic battery kit. Or how bout these from theoringstore, order 28 of em. Or these from oringusa.

Buna N should be fine. 70A would be the same. I’ve had some good luck with o-rings from Amazon and the Oring store.

I feel your pain my friend. I've searched everywhere & wondered about the same issue. I looked all over the internet for a battery & o ring during the start of Covid 19, OUT of stock. I'm pretty familiar w/ the PP-4. I wanted a back-up for my save-a-dive box. My suggestion is, that if you have a atturzed dealer near you, is that you go and let them install you one. GET THE VOLTAGE checked on your old batt & save if good. Specs say its best to replace the o ring every time @ replacement. If your like me you know you can do it right, but let the PRO'S do it for you! Don't want a flooded unit. Make sure if you try this on your own, to put a light lube of silicone grease on the O ring! I recommend only genuine Oceanic parts ! Knock offs might be a hair out of spec. Your dive trip depends on your safety and money! You may can find these parts online now a days. Good luck, just my 2 cents worth.

I feel your pain my friend. I've searched everywhere & wondered about the same issue. I looked all over the internet for a battery & o ring during the start of Covid 19, OUT of stock. I'm pretty familiar w/ the PP-4. I wanted a back-up for my save-a-dive box … let the PRO'S do it for you!
Thanks. It's not hard to get the official battery kit now. ~$31. (Sorry you had trouble before.) Too expensive for one battery and the o-ring (and some grease I guess). 2 quality CR2 batteries are $10 on Amazon. That leaves the o-ring. The computer is out of warranty anyway so not concerned about using "genuine parts". Just want a compatible o-ring. No need to let pros change a battery, IMO. Some may say I'd be being penny wise and pound foolish, and I'd take the point in some cases, but not this one, if I can source that o-ring. It's a racket that dive equipment manufacturers don't publish the specs for their easily available replacement parts like o-rings. The reason is obvious but doesn't sit well.

So… I'm going to a Buna N -028 70 Durometer one as previously suggested! Actually I'll get like a dozen so if anyone needs one gimme a holler!

@gajahduduk,

I can attest that both, the Oceanic PP2 and PP3 take one 3V CR2 battery and their Oring size is Buna N-028 70 Durometer because we've serviced a few of them with no issues whatsoever. I've carefully looked at the three computers' User Manuals and the three battery compartments look identical and located in the same place in their rear backs. I can not attest that the PP4 Oring is a N-028 but I am 99% sure that's the correct Oring size. Let us know if you had any issues with the Buna N-028.

Is the o ring applied to the od of the cover or in the actual unit? Seems to me tthaton the cover is where it should seat. Just double checking.

I always take my PP-4 to my autherized dealer/pro dive shop were i got it from,and let the pros do it right. Its just peace of mine that theses folks do it all the time and it will be installed correct w/ light coat of silicone grease. I always get me a new battery or have the scuba shop check the voltage before any dive trip. It can save a dive trip to knowing its done right. Hope this helps.

Is the o ring applied to the od of the cover or in the actual unit? Seems to me tthaton the cover is where it should seat. Just double checking.
It's been more than a few years since I had a Pro-Plus, so I don't remember as clear as I would have liked. I thought that there was a groove on the computer itself, but I'm not positive. There are some pictures in this thread that might help. If the case looks similar, I would expect the process to be the same.
I always take my PP-4 to my autherized dealer/pro dive shop were i got it from,and let the pros do it right. Its just peace of mine that theses folks do it all the time and it will be installed correct w/ light coat of silicone grease. I always get me a new battery or have the scuba shop check the voltage before any dive trip. It can save a dive trip to knowing its done right. Hope this helps.
Changing a battery in a dive computer should not be something that a dive shop needs to do. Especially today. I could somewhat understand when they were first introduced and often oil filled with soldered battery contacts. But today, there shouldn't be a need to have a technician need to change a single use battery. If you want to continue taking the computer in for a battery change, that's fine. It shouldn't, however, be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom