Question about neck seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phish-phood

Reaction score
I dive in a Typhoon Nexus dry suit and I love it apart from one thing - the neck seal.

Every time I dive in it the neck seal rubs a small area on the front of my throat raw, which as you can imagine is neither comfortable nor attractive
I don't have an allergy to laex so that isn't the reason and at first I thought this was due to the seal being too tight but since it doesn't leave any other marks on my neck at all I am beginning to wonder if in fact that is the reason.

Any ideas what I can do to stop this happening as it is ruining some great dives especially in the sea where the salt really stings.

Maybe try positioning the neck seal farther down on your neck? Or even dive with it turned inward like a neoprene seal..

Are you shaving immediately before the dive? I also had latex neck seal troubles and couldn't shave my neck before diving. I still usually got the piano wire mark, but it seemed to help.

Also try putting some KY jelly either on the seal or your neck prior to donning.

I now dive a neoprene seal, which is more comfortable, and warmer.

Soggy, I think my boyfriend would be very scared if I was shaving before dives :wink:

Thanks for the input, I had thought about cutting the seal but thought that if it is the edge of the seal causing the problem then it wouldn't make much difference, I'd just be getting a raw throat further down. The K-Y jelly is a good suggestion though as I would imagine that would allow the seal to move over my throat and stop it rubbing the skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom