Question about my regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJW

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello -

I just upgraded my regulator to Poseidon jetstream odin (including 1st and 2nd stages, and octo) :14: . I am curious about my other regulator, it is Cressi-sub Ellipse... Can I use Ellipse for deco tank?

ScubaJW:
Hello -

I just upgraded my regulator to Poseidon jetstream odin (including 1st and 2nd stages, and octo) :14: . I am curious about my other regulator, it is Cressi-sub Ellipse... Can I use Ellipse for deco tank?

funny i was supposed to get the cressi elipse for my frist reg but i decided on the poseidon xtreme instead. as to your question i se no problem using your elipse for your deco tank. waht gas will you be using in your deco?

Spoon, thanks for the reply. I haven't start diving with deco tank yet, but just wanted to be prepared for the future. If my Ellipse will not work for deco tanks, then I will sell it. Looks like I am going to keep it.

ScubaJW:
Hello -

I just upgraded my regulator to Poseidon jetstream odin (including 1st and 2nd stages, and octo)
14.gif
. I am curious about my other regulator, it is Cressi-sub Ellipse... Can I use Ellipse for deco tank?

Before using any regulator on a deco tank (probably containing a breathing gas with an oxygen content higher than 40%) you will probably need to have the regulator prepared for Oxygen Service. This will probably include a special cleaning of the disassembled parts of the regulator and reassembly using appropriate O rings and lubricants. I am not familiar with the regulator you have mentioned, but the chances are good that the work can be done with your normal service.

It is not a hard and fast rule, but most deco tank regulators use a DIN valve, so you might consider this as well. This decision also has ramifications to your tank, such as O2 cleaning of the tank and valve. You might also need to change the tank valve to DIN if you choose to go that route.

I of course assume that you will be obtaining the proper instruction to do planned decompression diving since there is more to it than simply jumping in and staying a little longer. There are issues with equipment and planning that really make a difference.

Since it looks like you are in the early stages of transitioning into technical diving, or at least looking at the options your question is a good one, but be prepared to spend LOTS of money on gear if you make the move. In some areas most if not all of the gear you would need is available for rent, so you might want to wait before you spend any money on new purchases, or modification of your existing gear.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom