Question About Full Face Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmmike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of the guys that we where diving with this weekend was using a full face mask, and it seemed like he used alot more air than the rest of us. When we did an air check I had 1400 + and he had more like 600 psi. At first I thought he was an "air hog", but when he changed over to a normal reg. our air usage was about the same.

I was thinking about getting a full face mask, but now I'm not sure. So my question is do full face mask use that much more air than a normal reg.

Thanks

FFMs can and do increase air consumption generally. There are a few reasons for it.

Air usage is normally a little higher with a FF.

Just a couple reasons are you have it on longer than a reg and mask combo. They are very easy breathing especially if it’s a PP unit.

Another thing to look at is how familiar your dive buddy was with his. What kind it was and how it was adjusted.

They are great once you get used to them.

Gary D.

While on the subject: I have not looked at a full-face mask. I am curious how the inside is set up? Is their sometype of regulator you still hold in your mouth or is it like a hospital oxygen mask that is just strpped over you nose and mask?

Seems like the point of these is to be able to talk so I figure the reg is not how they are designed......

DougK:
While on the subject: I have not looked at a full-face mask. I am curious how the inside is set up? Is their sometype of regulator you still hold in your mouth or is it like a hospital oxygen mask that is just strpped over you nose and mask?

Seems like the point of these is to be able to talk so I figure the reg is not how they are designed......
Yup to it all.

If it can be done it has been done and if you want it one way you can get it that way. There is a wide variety to choose from.

It may sound like it but I haven't been drinking. You can get a reg or no reg. You can get reg in mouth; no reg in mouth or a combo with reg in or out anytime you like. You can get strictly surface supplied. You can get strictly SCUBA or a combo of the two that you can switch back and forth. You can get it with a built in COM unit, add-on COM unit or no COM at all. You can get adapters for colored lenses that you can change on a dive. Lights built in, temporary placed or none at all.

Quite a wide variety.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom