Question about equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller64

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
..I need help kinda quick.

Is 2 complete sets of gear worth $600?

both sets consist of (2 of each), Luxfer AL80 (in hydro and viz)

genisis BC medium

(dont know model) sherwood 1st and 2nd and octo

weight belts and weights

mask

Fins

Thanks

At a quick glannce, $600 for 2 AL 80s, 2 BCs, 2 regs, 2 masks, and 2 sets of fins sounds great. I paid $500 for my BC and (even getting a STEAL) about $300 apiece for my Zeagle Regs. I would definitely ask some hard questions though.
What models of regs?
How old is the equipment?( Might be outdated enough to make parts/service hard)
How hard/light was it used?
When were the regs last looked at or used?
Is it all operational?(If you get a great deal on gear, then have to spend $140 to rebuild the reg, more to get the wing repaired, etc, you might not be getting that great a deal)
What sizes? Do the BC/masks fit properly?
Why is it being gotten rid of? This is the biggie. Some unscrupuolus people will try to unload junk on unsuspecting people trying to make a profit.
If all of this checks out, I would say go for it. I am a little wary of preowned masks, as the skirt might have deformed over the years, or it may never have fit your face to begin with.
Good Luck and Safe Diving

all of it 2 years old,,,5 dives in fresh water....lady said she paid $1200 2 years ago,,,luxfer tanks arent even scratched...probably lower to middle models of sherwood regs..(chrome)......my stepfather is a garage sale maniac....he says all looks brand new,all paper work

i got my stepfather going back to get it all now,,,seemed a good deal to me

and thanks for all the info and help,,,,,,,do you know any thing or what the chrome sherwood might be? decent? they may make a bunch of models chrome,,I'm kinda new at this,,so dont know much,,,,,,

its worthless if its not the proper gear for you, if the fins dont fit or the mask leaks or the bc is the wrong size then you might as well have a paper weight.

Check to make sure the tanks are or are not in hydro cause thats another $25-50 each for the testing and visual inspection. If the regs need service you can plan on spending +/- $15 per stage for service so about $50 a set.

bottom line, I wouldn't buy it unless I could check everything out in person...

he is on his way back to get it all,,,,we will see,,,,either a got a good deal and lucky or didnt,,,we will see.My stepfather used to dive some a few years ago and he is a shrewd person,,,he says it all looks new and she said 2 years old,bouhgt new and stickers are in date and serviced last 2 years at LDS she bought them,,,,,I;m a trusting person..and I trust him........and after seeing prices of stuff nowdays,,,,it may be worth it all,,,may run across a poor young lady that would like to learn diving or certified and no equipment,,,,a good in for me,,,,,or,,on the other hand,,,i do need a door stop and some paper weights...we will see,,,,i have made bad moves before,,,wont be nothing new,,,,,might get lucky this time,,,,,,will send photos when i get them

Back
Top Bottom