Question about equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaapril11

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to this site and new to diving in general...I took a class a year ago but my certification dives kept getting postponed for several reasons...finally, yesterday & Thursday I got to do my dives...

But afterwards, my right ear was really clogged. Went to the doctor, got diagnosed with middle ear barotrauma and got medicine and all.

I had trouble equalizing and I know that's why I have this now, although I did eventually get my ears equalized this happened anyway.

I want to keep diving, and I want to go farther in diving, but this is obviously a problem...does anyone else have trouble equalizing their ears and if so what method do you use? And it's only my right ear that has trouble with it, also. In fact, for my whole life, my right ear has gotten water trapped in it easier, things like that. I don't want this to keep me from diving and diving well so any suggestions would be great :)

welcome!

there's lots of stuff on here about different methods to equalize. try a search with valsalva (the 'pinch your nose & blow' method) or frenzel (the 'swallow' method, i think). there are some videos floating around, too. lynne?

(if she doesn't post in a bit, send a private message to tsandm and ask your question again. i think she has links to the videos i mentioned.)

some general advice - equalize on the surface and *every breath* going down. do it way before you feel pressure.

some general comfort - lots & lots of newer divers have problems, but it's a bit of a learned skill so it usually gets easier every time & soon you'll forget you ever had an issue.

ok, i found some good threads. look down this section until you see one to try, especially if dr mike has posted in it. the videos are long but worth it.

I believe THIS is the video Marci is thinking of. HERE is another resource, a DAN pdf with excellent illustrations. And THIS is an article from the freediving community, where equalizing easily with minimal air volumes is key.

If none of these things helps, it may be that you have allergies or an anatomic abnormality that is impeding you from clearing. A good examination by a knowledgeable ENT doc can identify the issue and select correct treatment, which may range from antihistamines to nasal steroids to decongestants to sinus surgery.

thanks, lynne!

I had problems equalizing initially.

One thing I was told about was practice, practice, practice. Try the various equalizing techniques. See if you can get your ears to adjust to pressure more readily. Doing various equalizing techniques before a dive seems to help "open up" the ear passages.

Another thing is try various head positions with the valvular maneuver. I found that if I went down and craned my head back as far as it would go, that the ears cleared. I found that leaning the head towards one side or the other would clear the ear on the other side. One ear seems to be always a bit harder to clear than the other.

Strangely enough, after a few dives, things got much easier. Now all I have to do is pinch my nose lightly and give a slight puff and my ears will clear. Before that sort of thing would not have worked.

Thanks for all the advice!!! I can't wait to get in the water and start working on it.... :D

I know it isn't recommended but if you aren't doing any deco or long dives, you can use Afrin and Sudafed. The number one reason that most people have problems is that they have allergies. If you have clear or white drainage, try Claritin or Zyrtec. I tried Claritin and it didn't help so I switched to Zyrtec. It helps out. Don't expect to be decending at 75 ft/min but you will see improvement.

I know it isn't recommended but if you aren't doing any deco or long dives, you can use Afrin and Sudafed.

I can second that. On our diving trip to Grand Cayman a couple weeks ago, our 20-year-old son was having great trouble equalizing his sinuses for the first time in about 40 dives -- stabbing pain behind his eyes while descending. He had to abort two dives.

We got some Allegra-D (antihistamine and (real) Sudafed) at a pharmacy, and also used Afrin nose spray. Worked well, with very slow descents.

The problem with using decongestants is if they wear off while you're underwater and your eustachean tubes or sinuses plug up again, you run the risk of reverse barotrauma when surfacing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom