Question about effect on Depth of Field of Zoom vs Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke:
Just did an experiment in my apartment (will be glad when wetsuit season gets here) and it seemed as if I got better depth of field when I was about 4 ft away and used zoom vs 8 inches away using macro (with these settings, object was scaled to same size). Does this make sense?

Assuming you used the same f-stop; yes, this makes sense.

Without getting into the mathematical stuff, DOF is not a fixed % of the focus distance. Example:

60mm lens, 35mm film, f 2.8

Focus distance 10': Near @ 9.4' , Far @ 10.6', Usable depth 1.2'
Focus distance 20': Near @ 17.9, Far @ 22.7', Usable depth 4.8'

In the example above, you would expect that doubling the distance would double the usable Depth of Field. Instead, there is 4 x as much.

So, the closer you are, the "thinner" your usable DOF becomes, even more than is implied by the smaller distance.

All the best, James

Thanks so much for the very informative posts! The aperture was the same at the two distances. I've recently conducted a few more experiments in which the results were not as clear cut. I think that the opposing influences of zoom and distance, at least at the range I was shooting from, come close to canceling each other out and other factors may exert an influence nearly or more so as great.

Back
Top Bottom