Question about drysuit inflator valve rinsing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerobics111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Several manuals or instructions I've read about drysuit cleaning mentions below:
Inflate and exhaust valves should be rinsed in fresh water after use. The inflation valve should then be connected to the air supply and blown through to clear any residual water. The exhaust valve should have any residual water gently shaken off.

My question is in the bolded part. I don't quite understand the purpose of doing this. What's the consequence of simply air drying it? (Area I live in is not humid and air dries pretty quickly) Or could I use a hair dryer on cool setting to blow it dry?

Edit: I don’t have air tanks at home and buying tanks barely saves me any money and adds a significant amount of hassle.

How would water get into the inside of the valve during rinsing?

How about below procedure:
At dive site, pour water onto the metal port of the valve - blow dry with my rental tank - wipe dry the metal port - put on the rubber cap - rinse the valve and rest of the dry suit at home - air dry.

I guess if the mechanism is full of water drying slowly this can leave calcium (or salt, depending on how well is was rinsed) deposits. I've never done this on my drysuit though, I just hose it down...

That suggestion is to clear out any water that gets inside the inflator valve, which can cause corrosion. Air drying is not going to remove that water.

It's not very practical for most people to blast out their drysuit inflator after cleaning and drying it. This is exactly why you need to service or replace the inflator value periodically. They can get sticky and cause runaway inflation, which could be very dangerous.

As mentioned, difference is drying the outside, or emptying the little ports on the inside of water.

It's not very practical for most people to blast out their drysuit inflator after cleaning and drying it. This is exactly why you need to service or replace the inflator value periodically. They can get sticky and cause runaway inflation, which could be very dangerous.
Not sure how you find it difficult. Pretty easy for myself and everyone I know. Hook up the quick connect, press button, disconnect the air line, put everything away.

Not sure how you find it difficult. Pretty easy for myself and everyone I know. Hook up the quick connect, press button, disconnect the air line, put everything away.
Not difficult, just a hassle that is easily ignored. And it's great that you can speak for everyone you know!

I'd be willing to wager that 95% of drysuit divers don't blowout their inflator valve after rinsing it.

I wouldn't worry about it. It was designed to be underwater. There are no parts in it that corrode. If it gets sticky, just take it apart, clean, lube the O-rings and put it back together. With the Sitec ones it takes about 3 minutes and all you need is a 3mm allen wrench (IIRC) . Just my 2 bar worth...

Roland

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom