Question about deco software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just completed my TDI Deco Procedures course. My instructor suggested the $90 GUE software for creating deco profiles. Just for the heck of it I downloaded the free software called VPlanner. I ran a profile for a sample dive to 125 feet using 28% Nitrox for back gas and 36% for deco gas for a 30 minute dive. I compared the results of this profile with that of the GUE profile and they were nearly identical.

Other details for software configuration....swim sac .5 cf/min/ATA, deco sac .3 cf/min/ata, descent rate 50 fpm, ascent rate 30 fpm, last stop 20 feet, salt water diving...that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Does anyone else have experience with the VPlanner compared to other software? What do you use to plan your deco dive profiles?

Thanks

--Matt

matt_unique:
I just completed my TDI Deco Procedures course. My instructor suggested the $90 GUE software for creating deco profiles. Just for the heck of it I downloaded the free software called VPlanner. I ran a profile for a sample dive to 125 feet using 28% Nitrox for back gas and 36% for deco gas for a 30 minute dive. I compared the results of this profile with that of the GUE profile and they were nearly identical.

Other details for software configuration....swim sac .5 cf/min/ATA, deco sac .3 cf/min/ata, descent rate 50 fpm, ascent rate 30 fpm, last stop 20 feet, salt water diving...that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Does anyone else have experience with the VPlanner compared to other software? What do you use to plan your deco dive profiles?

Thanks

--Matt

I don't know the current version of GUE planner, but the old version was strictly a dissolved gas model.

Vplanner is a bubble model.. on short decompression dives the results may be similiar..

Vplanner is a great choice especally at the price.. The GUE planner is supposed to incorporate VPM but why bnot get it from the guys who have been doing it the longest.

I also like GAP RGBM since you can compare RGBM and Buhlman (dissolved gas) profiles side by side.. its a bit more money at $200

Both Vplanner and Gap will support any type of diving.. GUE planner doesn't support constant Po2 so if you ever decide to dive a CCR yo'll have to buy Vplanner or Gap.

The free version of GAP is a true GF buhlman planner.

Even GUE doesn't use Decoplanner anymore! Old stuff. VPlanner is much better and will do anything you'll probably need in deco software. As has been said, GAP is also good, but the new one is too expensive and lots of people don't like the templates and interface.

MD

Agreed... V-planner is sweet..

I use Vplanner and haven't bent myself with it yet :wink:

VPlanner is the way to go.

Everyone I know here is using it and we haven't had trouble. One of the best things is once you buy it. You own it forever, Upgrades do not cost anything.

Their new version include a blending module.

V-Planner for me too. I've done most of my deco diving with it and never had a problem.

Vplanner is really nice but I don't carry a pc with me. I carry a palm.

I have Dplanner from GUE but there are others. Yes its Buhlmann with gradiant factors but I can make it spit out profiles that look like VPM.

The fact is that we just use it as a starting point anyway.

When I get some time I'll download that other VPM that'll work on a palm and give it a try.

I'm not buying a lap top and my desk top won't fit in my dive bag. You can print tons of junk out and carry it but why? I like to pull out the palm, do some what ifs and go. I baught 2 palms for like $80 each. We carry both and make sure they have fresh batteries when we leave for a trip and we're in business.

Mike, I do that too. I carry VPM with me, but if things change (and around here, mother nature likes to pick a different wreck for you a lot of the time) I run another schedule with Dplan on Palm. I also don't carry my laptop on boats and prob do some of the same schedule mods to Buhlmann/GF output as you do.

I tried the VPM for palm and hated the UI. You create a "settings file" using a certain syntax and then run it through the software to spit out the dive plan. No thanks, I like the easily tweakable almost spreadsheet-like interface of Dplan, Jplan, Decoplanner, etc. much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom