Question about Coral Coast Fiji trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to Fiji in May and staying at the Shangri-La Fijian. This is not a dive trip, but I have been given dispensation to dive a couple of days. Three questions:
  1. I want to do one of the shark dives in Beqa Lagoon. Has anyone done that from the Coral Coast and what is the best way to organise?
  2. Any specific recommendations for best use of the other day?
  3. Does anyone know anything about the dive op at the Fijian or is there a preferred Coral Coast operator who can accommodate me if I am staying there?
Thanks in advance.

Your best bet might be to get in touch with one of the shark dive operators out of Pacific Harbour. My stay at the Shangri-La was in 1999 so I don't know how applicable it would be now.

It was one of my first big dive trips and I was impressed with the Shangi-La's dive operation. The staff were pros and the dives were great. Their dive boat was called the Deco Freak. Never forget seeing the bronze whalers. Two at at time on one dive. But then, a long time ago.

The Beqa shark dive was discussed but arrangements were entirely on us to make and back then it got too complicated and we were enjoying the diving from the resort. It seemed since the resort was all inclusive if you wanted to make your own plans, you were responsible.

This also included a restaurant we heard about on the other side of the bridge from the resort that served a great lobster dish. The desk told us to call a cab for transportation. It was completely worth it. This great little restaurant served the best barbecued lobster I have ever eaten. Wish I could remember the name of it. It wasn't a spot you would learn about from resort staff though.

We did a day trip on the Sugar Cane Train that was enjoyable. A tour of the neighboring village that was interesting. A shopping trip in Sigatoka that was okay. Mostly diving. Snorkeling was fine but limited. This was where I saw my first sea snake. Never saw anyone playing the golf course. Next to the dive shop there was a water sport center. Jet skis and so on. It would be a great spot for paddle boarding.

Their website doesn't have much information on their dive shop I noticed. Maybe the main resort contact link could give you an email address for the dive shop and you could feel them out.

I made it to the Beqa shark dive in 2012. With Beqa Lagoon Resort. There were no tiger sightings on that excursion. I found the whole thing confining, crowded and a little frantic. Of course it was memorable. How often do you see guys in the ocean scooping out chum from the bottom of full size garbage cans to feed sharks? Coming across bronze whalers on a regular dive was much more fun.

I have done the shark dives out of Pacific Harbour twice - once in 2006 with Beqa Adventure Divers (aka BAD) and again in 2012 with Aquatrek. Both were good so I would be hard-pressed to recommend one over the other. They each do their shark feeding dives from separate locations, maybe so as to avoid conflicts. But it is a similar set up, with a feeder in the middle and divers to each side set back a few feet with a wall at their back.

I also recall, but can't vouch that Aquatrek still does this, that if you had a large housed camera to protect yourself with, and if you were willing, you could be among divers that line in the form of a "U" with the feeder let's say at the bottom of the U. From these positions on the U, you could have sharks a lot closer for up-close shots, since they could be swimming by from behind on their way to the feeder. At times this was a bit intimidating - especially when a 10-ft bull zipped by without your having seen it.

Assuming that you do the 2-tank shark dives with either operator, and assuming that things have not changed much, the first dive is down to about 90 feet, and the second is shallower. With BAD we saw tigers on the deep dives but not on the shallow ones. With Aquatrek we didn't see any tigers, but as they say, it is an ocean so it is a matter of how lucky you are.

Again, my info is 10 years old, so do check them out. While both of them used to offer pick-ups from wherever you were staying in Pacific Harbour, BAD was up a hill and at least 20 minutes walk from town, whereas Aquatrek was right off the main East-West highway that connects Nadi with Suva. At least to me, staying closer to town was more convenient in terms of options for lodging and eating.

When I dove with Aquatrek, I stayed at the Pearl Resort in Pacific Harbour. It was close enough that I walked it everyday. It is not inexpensive, but if you can afford Shangri-La, I think that you can afford the Pearl. For other options, I would ask the dive operator that you decide to book with.

There is also Beqa Lagoon Resort on the island of Beqa, offshore from Pacific Harbour. They also offer a shark dive.

As to what to do on the other day, if I am given two days to dive, you better believe that I will be diving. Even if you cannot or won't do back-to-back shark dive days, Fiji has gorgeous soft corals.

Lastly, there is/was a bus that runs from Nadi to Pacific Harbour and on back and forth. It is quite comfortable and realtively inexpensive - a decent alternative to a private shuttle.

Good luck.

Manuel

Just posting to close the circle, having arrived home yesterday.
  • Used Beqa Adventure Divers for the bull shark dives and they did a good job. Used Coral Coast Transfers to get down and back (about an hour and 50 minutes each way). Transport cost $F180.
  • Dive shop at the Shangri-la Fijian was great. Really friendly, and accommodating, willing to take the boat out even for a single diver and on the day I went out on the same boat with 2 DSD divers, they told me that would be the case, gave me my own dive guide and made sure we were in the water while the DSDs were still gearing up. The dives were better than I expected, reef sharks, nurse sharks, turtles, eagle ray, schooling barracuda and some nice enough hard corals with plenty of reef fish. Ended up doing 5 dives with them. The best site was called Barracuda Drift.
  • Shangri-la Fijian is a nice mid-range resort in a great location.

Coral Coast Divers is another option. They offer shallower diving and have the tiger shark encounters more than the other two in the area due to their dive sites location. All of the operators use private dive sites, due to the water rights being owned by local villages. Each center partners with a local village and helps by giving funding to these villages from the diving done, in exchange for them not fishing the areas. Its a great case of eco tourism gone right. Shark populations have increased dramatically in the 25 years since this first started in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom