Question about converting Latitude/Longitude coordinates in decimal to deg/min/seconds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, if you are looking for wrecks on a NOAA chart, they will be off by a couple of miles. NOAA does not give wreck information to the public except under FOIA. I sometimes have access to raw data, which has correct positions of features, but they are pretty stingy with wreck numbers and locations...

All those answers about 1 sec being 90 ft are incorrect. You must use 1 nautical mile for one degree, not one statute mile. The former is 6076.13 ft. The latter is 5280 ft. Divide by 69, that is one sec.
Who's talking about statute miles here? Posts #2, 4 and 6 specifically use nautical miles. Post #4 also gives the answer in metric units.

And, if you are looking for wrecks on a NOAA chart, they will be off by a couple of miles..

Well that's a problem!

I thought Navionics (and INavX) and other navigation software pull their numbers from the NOAA charts?

The few I entered manually into Navionics after I got these coordinate conversions ironed out seem to coincide with some of the wrecks that Navionics already has pre-loaded from the downloaded charts.

Well that's a problem!

I thought Navionics (and INavX) and other navigation software pull their numbers from the NOAA charts?

The few I entered manually into Navionics after I got these coordinate conversions ironed out seem to coincide with some of the wrecks that Navionics already has pre-loaded from the downloaded charts.
They do get their numbers from NOAA charts.

NOAA charts lie.

And, if you are looking for wrecks on a NOAA chart, they will be off by a couple of miles. NOAA does not give wreck information to the public except under FOIA. I sometimes have access to raw data, which has correct positions of features, but they are pretty stingy with wreck numbers and locations...
Depends on the date of the chart, date of the wreck, and precision of the original information/data. But some charts were drawn decades ago and haven't been updated. To my knowledge they never intentionally mis-plot a wreck symbol.

Some here are off by miles
Some are plus or a minus a couple of feet

They do get their numbers from NOAA charts.

NOAA charts lie.
They don't intentionally lie around here. If they want to protect something they do so legally or they don't update the chart to show the wreck at all. They don't intentionally chart incorrect symbols.

Navionics uses NOAA vector data as a "base" for their products (in the USA). A few years ago there was a big stink because Canada didn't want to agree to Navionics licensing terms. Canadian hydrographic data are not freely available in the public domain like NOAA data is

Depends on the date of the chart, date of the wreck, and precision of the original information/data. But some charts were drawn decades ago and haven't been updated. To my knowledge they never intentionally mis-plot a wreck symbol.

Some here are off by miles
Some are plus or a minus a couple of feet
No wreck is charted properly here

No wreck is charted properly here

So I'm looking at chart 11464 online, that's near you right?
I guess the first question is, what is "properly?" Is that because the base data are from loran? Or because there's this perception that the NOAA coast survey is hiding things from wreck hunters and divers...

I don't know what your definition of proper is but reading this at face value you're saying the wreck symbols on pickles reef, the one west of cheeca rocks, and the one west of dixie shoal are intentionally drawn incorrectly?

Navionics is an excellent program but a piss poor app.

I highly recommend iNavX. It successfully brought my 100footer from Panama City to Key west when my PC gave up the ghost, and it speaks all position formats including northings and eastings.
I wonder if I can convert my Navionics locations to iNavX, as a batch job?

Back
Top Bottom