Question about converting Latitude/Longitude coordinates in decimal to deg/min/seconds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divide by 69???

I think you are confusing the conversion from minutes to seconds with the conversion of minutes to decimal minutes ... and/or mixing nautical and statute miles.

Stay in nautical miles. Divide one minute by 60 to get one second. Works every time.
I corrected my typo. Thanks.

So I'm looking at chart 11464 online, that's near you right?
I guess the first question is, what is "properly?" Is that because the base data are from loran? Or because there's this perception that the NOAA coast survey is hiding things from wreck hunters and divers...

I don't know what your definition of proper is but reading this at face value you're saying the wreck symbols on pickles reef, the one west of cheeca rocks, and the one west of dixie shoal are intentionally drawn incorrectly?
I’m saying that if you dropped in on that wreck symbol, you’d have a hard time finding that wreck. Likewise, close to that chart is a fish haven, the Eagle. Now, the Eagle location is well known, but the fish haven box is mighty large, and the Eagle is in there somewhere....

I’m saying that if you dropped in on that wreck symbol, you’d have a hard time finding that wreck.

I doubt any boat captain (including myself) would just anchor over a marked GPS spot and go diving. I use the spot referenced by the GPS coordinates as a starting point and circle around while checking my sonar for a hit.

I doubt any boat captain (including myself) would just anchor over a marked GPS spot and go diving. I use the spot referenced by the GPS coordinates as a starting point and circle around while checking my sonar for a hit.
Yes. Good. Some searches will take longer than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom