question about carrying a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave it on. If you really need it, or someone else, its one less thing to worry about doing. If its for deco, I prefer a smooth transition to that reg and switching gases on the computer. I don't want another task to perform. I believe this out ways the slight chance of a free flow. Also, when I look at the SPG occasionally during the dive, I want to know what I really have in the tank. Finally, just because I'm fastidious, I check to make sure it is on a few feet before reaching my first deco stop.

The rules of thumb are, pressurize your pony and then turn it off if you are mounting iton your primary tank. Normally, with such a back mount system you would mount it inverted, so you could reach the valve to turn it on if needed. The reason for this is, if the pony develops a leak, it can easily empty and you would never know it. (We would assume you would know of a free flow because the 2nd stage should be mounted on a D-ring on your BC or BPW harness and you would see the free flow.)

If you sling the pony, pressurize it and leave it on. If it develops a leak (or a free flow) you will be able to easily see the bubbles and turn the tank off.

I always sling my pony now --I used to back mount it. I can tell you from experience, if you need that bottle, it's great to have it already on and ready to go.

A pony has no more chance of leaking water in than there is from water leaking into your tank through your octo.

Jeff

I always carry a 19 cu ft pont on my ocean dives. I turn it on and keep it ready to go for one of those just in case moments when I don't have time to mess around with turning it on. I had my LDS tune my 2nd stage down a little to prevent free-flows yet it still breathes fine and I have not a any problems with free-flow. If you are going to carry a pony for back-up why turn it off. I could see why tech divers turn their stage bottles off until the proper time, the mix would probably kill them at depth. For me the smart move is to keep your bail-out bottle ready at all times.

I always left my pony bottle on, when I dove one...when I had less than 150 dives...
Now I dive twins and leave the stage/deco bottle on when I carry one...maybe not on entry but shortly after decent. Just in case.
K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom