Question about buddy system protocol...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey All:

I gather that the OP was diving a charter on the coast of North Carolina, which has three companies that I know of, and I have mated for one of them. The fact that the crew did not jump into action raises some concerns as just last week I was diving with my old company, we had a missing diver, and everyone was recalled to the boat; the mate suited up, but then the lost diver's bubbles made their way to the anchor line and then to the hang bar. Tragedy was averted once communications were made with the guy and those of us that wanted to return to the wreck did. The whole story was weird and is for another post maybe...

So, I think Alex did a good job with the previously mentioned exceptions of no predive discussions and then the fact that she simply lost her buddy. Sure things happen, but especially in June, the currents had been ripping, the surge had been a monster, and visibility has been poor (but it has been warm!) With all these factors though, it is especially imperative that during the Captain's predive brief that all listen up- not just the newbies. I am sure that these conditions would be mentioned because of the threat that so many things can go bad and quick.

In this situation, I think it would have been perfect of she waited at the anchor line, and with the expectation that her buddy would head there too once they realized that, "Hey, my buddy is missing!" I would have waited for a bit because best case scenario- all divers eventually return to the anchor line here to get back on the boat as free ascents are not recommended. Once the buddy and she linked up, then with some hand signals discuss if the dive is over or if they want to fin around for a bit more.

Unfortunately and all too often people just get into their gear and hit the water here. They plan on returning with 500 psi, letting their computer dictate their diving, and just having fun! Hopefully they have a whistle and SMB or a safety sausage but unless in a class, don't count on it.

And finally, remember your buddy is your backup. If you don't feel comfortable with your buddy and discussing anything about the dive with them, then get a new buddy. If they want to just wing it while you stick to your training, let them. You aren't the only one who is obsessive about dive planning and it's for good reason as you have seen. Also, there are all kinds of memory tools to make sure everything is covered so find one and stick to it. Get into a habit of reciting your tool with your buddy and if they don't want to listen, then again get a new buddy that will.

Kind regards,
Thomas

I feel you did the right thing, assuming this is what you guys said you discussed. However, every instructor says and it makes sense PLAN YOUR DIVE, AND DIVE YOUR PLAN... so nobody gets hurt, or confused.
just my 2 cents

The ocean is a big place. If you do lose contact with your buddy, and especially if the vis is only 10ft as in this case, you have a much better chance of finding them on the surface. If you both surface you are guaranteed to be on the same plane with one another and your search will be conducted in two dimensions; however, if you tried to stay under and search then you have to conduct a three dimensional search. That's a major reason for the training protocol.

Learn your lesson from this incident. Proper pre-dive planning include talking over what do do in case of buddy separation among other things. Take nothing for granted.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom