Question about airline weight restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clockradio:
i've flown funjet,and continental within the last year or so, and never had a problem.My dive bag weights approximately 65lbs. I don't know what my other bag weights,but it is a lot less. my last flight was this month. hope this helps. have fun. geo

My original question got off track somehow. :11: Thanks for your response. Ours usually weighs in at 60lbs with two sets of gear and that is if we carry our regs as carryon. I haven't had any problems in the past when I have used Funjet out of DFW and Austin. Just curious about Houston. Thanks again
Ann

Damselfish:
How interesting, I actually heard it here first - http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=83678 - and when I checked on aa.com at the time it definitely said 50# international. I even wrote to American saying I wouldn't choose them for my next trip I was about to buy tickets for because of the new policy (and I didn't) - got back a useless "sorry you don't like the new policy" response.

When I check the same page now I see it says 70#international. Maybe they've gotten a lot of flack and changed it back, or they're fiddling with the limits seasonally, or who knows with airlines?
Hopefully your calling them helped :)

Rereading it just now I see that there's a "Sports Equipment" list. It says there that they want an additional $80 for:

1 scuba tank, scuba regulator, tank harness, and tank pressure gauge.
Furthermore it says:

Regulator valve must be completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.
I was planning on bring my 13 cu. ft. pony bottle. Last time (on United) I stuffed it between pillows in one of my check-ons (with the valve removed), didn't declare it, and they never said anything. The reg and my computer usually go in my carry-on.

Jerry

p.s. Sorry parrotheaddiver for derailing your thread...

geraldp:
I was planning on bring my 13 cu. ft. pony bottle. Last time (on United) I stuffed it between pillows in one of my carryons (with the valve removed), didn't declare it, and they never said anything. The reg and my computer usually go in my carry-on.

You had a pony bottle in your carry-on and they didn't even ask you about it when it went through the security Xray? That's a bit scary, isn't it?

ggunn:
You had a pony bottle in your carry-on and they didn't even ask you about it when it went through the security Xray? That's a bit scary, isn't it?
I'm sorry... it was in my check on. Funny though when I left Cancun airport last October they hand searched my check-on bag that held the pony. The security guy never found the pony. Makes you wonder what he was looking for.

obviously not 'things that might look like pipe bombs'!!

Well this is an older thread but it's suddenly very current for me as I'm leaving Saturday for Cancun/PDC. I just double checked the American Airlines Baggage Allowance page ... As of October 1st it looks like they now limit you to 50 pounds for all international flights (with the exclusion of a half-a-dozen obscure airports). All bags that weigh between 50-70 pounds now get charged $25. AA still has the bit in there about Scuba gear (which includes tank, regulator, harness, and SPG) costing $80. I strongly suspect (based on past trips) that this is a "don't ask/don't tell" type of thing though, and I'm not about to tell them what I've got in my check-on bags.

Since I purchased my tickets before October 1st I'm hoping I still get to use the 70 pound limit.

Jerry

I fly out saturday to St. Croix so it's a domestic flight with a 50lb limit. My regular dive bag was to big in linear inches if you pull the canvass all the way up. The second one I really hate the canvas handle on it so I opted to use my regular large suitcase to house my gear. Looks like one of the Akona semi soft cases. Anyway Assuming a similar gear bag, what all do you have in your bags that make them 60+lb? Mine will have my BC, small knife, shears, 2 mini lights, fins, snorkle that's probably it. Gonna pack the clothes in the 2 cary on bags to insulate my video setup, camera, regs and maybe my laptop.

jstuart1:
I fly out saturday to St. Croix so it's a domestic flight with a 50lb limit. My regular dive bag was to big in linear inches if you pull the canvass all the way up. The second one I really hate the canvas handle on it so I opted to use my regular large suitcase to house my gear. Looks like one of the Akona semi soft cases. Anyway Assuming a similar gear bag, what all do you have in your bags that make them 60+lb? Mine will have my BC, small knife, shears, 2 mini lights, fins, snorkle that's probably it. Gonna pack the clothes in the 2 cary on bags to insulate my video setup, camera, regs and maybe my laptop.
Have fun in St. Croix! May your vacation be huricane free.

I have a similar load, but add to that 2 sets of snorkeling gear, a full wetsuit, plus booties, hood, & gloves (just in case), and spare batteries for my dive lights. With my DeepOutdoors bag that normally comes to about 65 pounds. I also have an al13 pony bottle plus regulator & spg, but that will go in a second check-on. I was also thinking about checking my primary regs this time just to not have the hassle of taking it through security. My dive computer will be in my carryon. My laptop stays home :)

The bottom line is I always take too much.

My DeepOutdoors bag is also too big in linear inches (even without the expand-o part zipped out), but I've taken it twice to Cancun and twice domestically (on 3 different carriers) and nobody has complained about the size.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom