Question about airline weight restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW:
Knowing that there would be major problems if they simply banned bags overweight, they charge, I would imagine that at least a portion of the overweight fee goes back to the unions.

Not a chance, it goes to pay the rediculous executive bonuses! :11:

For United, American, and US Air (the 3 airlines I've used so far to get to Cancun) the international weight limit is 70 lbs. I do have to be careful with my huge dive bag, as it's easy to overfill it well over 70 lbs.

The two times I've flown domestically with my gear (including drysuit) I had to be very careful to keep it to 50lbs each. I resorted to putting a lot of gear, including ankle weights, etc. in my carryon. There's supposed to be a weight limit for carryon but fat chance anybody calling you on that.

The first time coming back (with a wet drysuit) I didn't have a scale so I just packed one suitcase up full. United Airlines charged me $25 for an overweight bag... that was well worth it to me.

The 2nd time I flew I asked the hotel concierge if I could use their shipping scales to help me balance out my two check-ons. That worked out nicely.

Jerry

American Airlines baggage limits are 50lbs. for domestic and 70lbs. for international. we went to the Bahamas last year and were over the 50lbs. limit on one bag and because our first stop from Dallas was Miami we had to pay the $50 surcharge.

Airlines are really getting bad about customer no-service and I just recently read in the paper that they are going to get even more strict about weight because of fuel prices.

Don't these people know us divers have issues? besides, I'm traveling with a VERY high maintanence wife and she's gotta take A LOT of stuff!!!

Sharky, that's a big reason why I only fly AA if absolutely no other options are available. We had a similar experience with them 2 yrs ago. Continental is our first choice. Being that we are about 40 min from Newark, their NE hub, we get lots of non-stops so it works out well. If we do have to make a domestic connection the baggage allotment is determined based on the final destination, if it's booked as a connecting flt.

My bag with gear and clothes, etc for a week (only one checked bag, very low maintanence) usually weighs in around 63lbs. Our house rule is you pack it, you haul it yourself. No Sherpa's here. I'll have to check 2 bags for Hawaii, just like I have to do for the Keys. Domestic dive trips suck.

My understanding is that they are supposed to use the limit according to the final destination - if your final destination is international, international limits should apply all the way. Not that it matters anymore in American's case, since they say 50# for domestic and international now.

sharky60:
American Airlines baggage limits are 50lbs. for domestic and 70lbs. for international. we went to the Bahamas last year and were over the 50lbs. limit on one bag and because our first stop from Dallas was Miami we had to pay the $50 surcharge.
Hmm... I flew from Portland to Cancun (via Dallas/Ft Worth) in Feb '04 on American Airlines and they didn't hassle me about my 65 pound dive bag on the PDX->DFW leg. I'm using American again next month (same route). Hopefully I won't run into any problems. It sounds like they're kind of hit and miss as to what their policies are. Did you overnite in Miami?

United Airlines (with which I do most of my flying) has never hassled me on the domestic leg of an international trip for weight. I have gone over 70 pounds carrying computer equipment (for European and Asian work-related trips) and had to pay a fine, but never for the domestic leg when I'm carrying between 50-70 lbs.

Jerry

p.s. one other point... On my last (domestic) trip I very carefully weighed both of my bags to be exactly 50 pounds. When I checked them at ticketing they weighed in at 54 pounds on their scale. I asked them to recalibrate their scales, and sure enough they then weighed in at 50 pounds.

Damselfish:
My understanding is that they are supposed to use the limit according to the final destination - if your final destination is international, international limits should apply all the way. Not that it matters anymore in American's case, since they say 50# for domestic and international now.
Just checked their webpage - it's still saying 70# for international. Where did you hear 50?

geraldp:
Just checked their webpage - it's still saying 70# for international. Where did you hear 50?
How interesting, I actually heard it here first - http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=83678 - and when I checked on aa.com at the time it definitely said 50# international. I even wrote to American saying I wouldn't choose them for my next trip I was about to buy tickets for because of the new policy (and I didn't) - got back a useless "sorry you don't like the new policy" response.

When I check the same page now I see it says 70#international. Maybe they've gotten a lot of flack and changed it back, or they're fiddling with the limits seasonally, or who knows with airlines?

scubawife:
Sharky, that's a big reason why I only fly AA if absolutely no other options are available. We had a similar experience with them 2 yrs ago. Continental is our first choice. Being that we are about 40 min from Newark, their NE hub, we get lots of non-stops so it works out well. If we do have to make a domestic connection the baggage allotment is determined based on the final destination, if it's booked as a connecting flt.

My bag with gear and clothes, etc for a week (only one checked bag, very low maintanence) usually weighs in around 63lbs. Our house rule is you pack it, you haul it yourself. No Sherpa's here. I'll have to check 2 bags for Hawaii, just like I have to do for the Keys. Domestic dive trips suck.

Big Island! I'm jealous! Say hello to my heart while your there! I love Hawaii!!!

We don't use Continental too much out of Dallas because they make you fly thru Houston...no thanks.

American's head quarters are here so we have the same opportunities for non-stops as you do with Continental. We usually do a FunJet charter to go to Coz and I've never been hassled about weight with them. Like you said domestic dive trips are the real pain.

i've flown funjet,and continental within the last year or so, and never had a problem.My dive bag weights approximately 65lbs. I don't know what my other bag weights,but it is a lot less. my last flight was this month. hope this helps. have fun. geo

Back
Top Bottom