Question about a 13 year old Halcyon wing -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone, I have a Halcyon SS Single Cylinder Backplate and Harness – brand new, never used, and a Halcyon Pioneer 30lb Wing – brand new, never used. Both purchased in 2009. So the question - is the wing still good after 13 years? It's been stored in a cool, dry, clean place. It holds air no problem. Should I have any concern putting these items up for sale? Also, any suggestions on a fair price for the backplate and wing?

Attachments

• Scuba-27 SM.jpg
    Scuba-27 SM.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Scuba-28 SM.jpg
    Scuba-28 SM.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 100
  • ScubaSale5.jpg
    ScubaSale5.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 93
  • ScubaSale6.jpg
    ScubaSale6.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 103
It should be fine. They don’t have an identified “shelf life” so you usually use them until they fail to hold air. I still use my single and double Halcyon wings and they were made in 2004 and 2009.

I still use my Halcyon Pioneer 27# singles wing, which I purchased new ca. 2002 (IIRC). See pic here: VDH wings in stock!!!. Absolutely no issues, ever. (Used in fresh water, only.) Had to cut some slots in it to make it work with my SS Freedom Plate, though, which I purchased new ca. 2010 IIRC. (Used a paring knife IIRC. Maybe a steak knife.)

ETA: Here's the thread I began when I first received my Freedom Plate: Freedom Plate: First Dive

rx7diver

From my experience the wings with the red DIR logo fray along the bottom egde. Mine frayed badly and was replaced under warranty. Wing was 10 years old when replaced but in pristine condition, never abused and washed religiously
It was great service from Halcyon and they make great gear!
Yours may differ though as it appears to be sewed differently along the seams.

If it holds air, inspect it and visually looks good, it's good to use.
Just by the pictures I would go diving with it.
My wing is 20 years old still dive it,

You may want to change orings on the inflater but other than that, go diving

I have two small halcyon wings of that vintage (same logo) and they are both fine. Yours look to be in even better shape than mine, I wouldn't have any qualms about diving it / selling it on.

I have wings that are over 10 and still as good as ever.

It looks like it is actually 16 years old, if it hold air it should be fine but expect potential buyers to be cautious

I would replace the dump valve and the power inflator if it has SS buttons. both have had issues over the years so best to start fresh. As others have said, if it holds air, dive it!

I'm still using a 55 lb Halcyon wing that I bought 22 years ago. A good fresh water rinse inside after ocean diving is the key. I've changed the inflator and dump valve, the wing is faded and the grommet holes are beat up, but it hold air perfectly.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom