Halcyon Eclipse wing shell repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris kippax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
8F296F18-C13D-4146-AF26-570363D58953.jpeg
My beloved wing has a tear along the bottom seam, does any one think a canvas sewer/sail maker/upholsterer could repair it?

they should be able to take care of that in about 10 minutes. Just make sure to take the inner bladder out before they have it to make sure they don't puncture that

Thanks Tbone! I was hoping you Tobin or Brian would chime in.

View attachment 464589 My beloved wing has a tear along the bottom seam, does any one think a canvas sewer/sail maker/upholsterer could repair it?
IMO that shell is not repairable. The material shows a lot of fraying, and that typically means the antifraying coating on the inside of the shell has failed. Sew it up and it will fail again, and again and again.

You need a new shell, the bladder and fittings hoses can be reused if they are in good condition.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin
I have contacted Halcyon Australia, see what they come back with.

More recent halcyon wings are made of a different material.

I’ve had older ones come apart like that. Hopefully they replace yours.

I was going to buy the 18# vdh wing for warm water before my next trip, but this may force me to go with the 35# first.

IMO that shell is not repairable. The material shows a lot of fraying, and that typically means the antifraying coating on the inside of the shell has failed. Sew it up and it will fail again, and again and again.

You need a new shell, the bladder and fittings hoses can be reused if they are in good condition.

Tobin

I've seen some sheet repairers put something amounting to seam tape along the stitches which basically reinforces the laminate on the back. To your point though, if the coating has come off, then it will probably just continue along the seam. Good eye

@PfcAJ glad to hear it should be a warranty item, wing definitely doesn't show signs of abuse. We had a few fail like that at NC State but they see a lot of chlorine.

View attachment 464589 My beloved wing has a tear along the bottom seam, does any one think a canvas sewer/sail maker/upholsterer could repair it?

Is that the version with "DIR Dive Systems" in RED lettering under the Halcyon logo? I have one that is starting to fray on the inside @ the top, but I think I can stop it with aquaseal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom