Ques about Lands End swimsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea:
Have you tried Speedo's website? I had a look at it yesterday and their tankini selection is quite practical. (Plus there's 3 pages of styles!)

http://www.speedousa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.results&searchString=tankini

I didn't like those colors and the leg seems too conservative for my taste. I ended up ordering a couple of tops from Land's End. They should arrive tomorrow so we'll see how they look.
I much prefer Eddie Bauer's tankinis and 2 bikinis but the ones I have aren't real compatible with wetsuits :wink:

Thanks

My goal in life is to find one that doesn't have top issues. I'd love to find something in plus sizes that is modern cut on top (read: doesn't look like something my great-granny wore in 1918) but has support and some coverage. Soft cups are a joke for anyone with DD or larger sizing, especially when you hoist yourself out of the water and wonder if the 3 extra gallons of water in cups of the suit have decided to go with the laws of physics and the neckline of the suit is somewhere around your navel leaving you with a lovely breeze across your upper torso and the curious feeling that everyone on the boat can suddenly see that Tigger tattoo you thought only your husband knew about.

I dont know a whole lot about lands end swimsuits but I do love the ones at carabella.com I think the part I like the best other than the price of them when they go on special is that you can build your own suit, and customize one to your body shape.

Bobbin-along:
My goal in life is to find one that doesn't have top issues. I'd love to find something in plus sizes that is modern cut on top (read: doesn't look like something my great-granny wore in 1918) but has support and some coverage. Soft cups are a joke for anyone with DD or larger sizing, especially when you hoist yourself out of the water and wonder if the 3 extra gallons of water in cups of the suit have decided to go with the laws of physics and the neckline of the suit is somewhere around your navel leaving you with a lovely breeze across your upper torso and the curious feeling that everyone on the boat can suddenly see that Tigger tattoo you thought only your husband knew about.

Thanks for making me laugh :D
It's been a long week.

Not to hijack, but.... here's another one.

I have a sailboat that we race pretty much every week and as such the winches (8) have to be serviced a minimum of 2 times a year. To service them you have to take them off the boat, tear them down to gears, springs, and tiny pieces of metal. then clean each part with engine cleaner to remove the old grease and oil. Then you inspect, reassemble, and re-oil and grease the parts. it's stinky, sticky, gross work and takes about 2 hours to do each winch. The grease is lithium grease and has a distinctive scent, as does the engine cleaner, which reminds me of the smell of an auto rebuild shop.

After a full day of cleaning and rebuilding winches I took a hot shower to scrub all the grease that managed to get everywhere not covered by clothes. I crawl into bed pink from hot water and a loofah and pick up my book to read for a bit. After a few minutes my husband leans over and sniffs. Then he leans further and sniffs again and says. "You smell like petroleum distallates...." and then in Paris Hilton style "that's hot." Of which I couldn't stop laughing. Which of course spurs him further, "I bet Martha Stewart can't tear down and rebuild a 3 speed winch on her kitchen counter in less than 2 hours, she's not hot."

I swear I have no idea where he comes up with this stuff. But it's sweet, sort of like telling a shy girl in our dive class that there is nothing more alluring than a woman with salt spiked hair and snot running down her nose after a dive.

Bobbin-along:
Not to hijack, but.... here's another one.

I have a sailboat that we race pretty much every week and as such the winches (8) have to be serviced a minimum of 2 times a year. To service them you have to take them off the boat, tear them down to gears, springs, and tiny pieces of metal. then clean each part with engine cleaner to remove the old grease and oil. Then you inspect, reassemble, and re-oil and grease the parts. it's stinky, sticky, gross work and takes about 2 hours to do each winch. The grease is lithium grease and has a distinctive scent, as does the engine cleaner, which reminds me of the smell of an auto rebuild shop.

After a full day of cleaning and rebuilding winches I took a hot shower to scrub all the grease that managed to get everywhere not covered by clothes. I crawl into bed pink from hot water and a loofah and pick up my book to read for a bit. After a few minutes my husband leans over and sniffs. Then he leans further and sniffs again and says. "You smell like petroleum distallates...." and then in Paris Hilton style "that's hot." Of which I couldn't stop laughing. Which of course spurs him further, "I bet Martha Stewart can't tear down and rebuild a 3 speed winch on her kitchen counter in less than 2 hours, she's not hot."

I swear I have no idea where he comes up with this stuff. But it's sweet, sort of like telling a shy girl in our dive class that there is nothing more alluring than a woman with salt spiked hair and snot running down her nose after a dive.

I don't consider it hijacking and I started this thread :D

My husband thinks that a woman with salt spiked hair and snot is sexy. "Why?" I asked him. "Because it means she's a woman who can dive". Being able to enjoy a sport together is cool and adds to the attraction.

For the record: I do not find this (snot) attractive in any man. So it must be a guy thing :05:

I just received my Land's End swimsuits. They are great! I bought 2 from the swim separated Beach Living collection and a 1-piece tank that has a high leg, v-neck, and tummy control. The fit is exactly as the size chart stated.

Don't forget to check their overstock section. I bought one of the tops there for half price.

BIG BIG BIG.

Did I say BIG?

I swim in Land's End swimming suits, if I buy my normal size. Ditto L.L. Bean I swim in all Land's End clothing if I buy my normal size. Ditto L.L. Bean. (Actually I don't buy from either catalog any more. Now that I've lost a bunch o' weight, I've switched to J. Crew for different cut/styling/fit. But that's not relevant here.)

I think clothing from both catalogs run one size larger than clothing at department stores, mall stores, etc. And I'm a longtime catalog shopper.

Clearly, I'm in the minority of posters here, so consider this the lone voice in the swimming pool .....

Good luck!

DM

divemistress:
BIG BIG BIG.

Did I say BIG?

I swim in Land's End swimming suits, if I buy my normal size. Ditto L.L. Bean I swim in all Land's End clothing if I buy my normal size. Ditto L.L. Bean. (Actually I don't buy from either catalog any more. Now that I've lost a bunch o' weight, I've switched to J. Crew for different cut/styling/fit. But that's not relevant here.)

I think clothing from both catalogs run one size larger than clothing at department stores, mall stores, etc. And I'm a longtime catalog shopper.

Clearly, I'm in the minority of posters here, so consider this the lone voice in the swimming pool .....

Good luck!

DM

Swimsuits always run a size larger. I'm a 6 in clothing but I take and 8 in swimsuits. Of course that works because I'm a 35B so the tops are a perfect fit.

Now--If we talk jeans-forget it. I take a size 4 in Eddie Bauer because they run so big. LLBean's size 6 is probably closer to a 7. But The swimsuits have been consistent for me.

It's such a pain buying clothes when all the retail stores have such a variety within sizes.

If I wore a size 6 in clothing at Nordstrom, J.Crew or Speedo, I would wear a size 6 in bathing suits at Nordstrom, J.Crew or Speedo.

But I would take a size 4 in clothing and swim suits at Lands End and LL Bean. (And often Eddie Bauer.)

Do you mean swimsuit often run a size smaller and you take a size larger? That's interesting -- I've never heard that before, and I've been swimming for decades, first competitively, then as a fitness swimmer.

Maybe it's a matter of taste, as far as how one likes one's suits to fit? Lap swimmers tend to like their suits form-fitting because extra material creates drag, which slows them down.

P.S. Congrats on getting a good fit! It's so disappointing when catalog orders don't suit.

scubamickey:
Swimsuits always run a size larger. I'm a 6 in clothing but I take and 8 in swimsuits. Of course that works because I'm a 35B so the tops are a perfect fit.

Now--If we talk jeans-forget it. I take a size 4 in Eddie Bauer because they run so big. LLBean's size 6 is probably closer to a 7. But The swimsuits have been consistent for me.

It's such a pain buying clothes when all the retail stores have such a variety within sizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom