Quarry session-Learned a lot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You stated that you diagnosed & remedied the tank strap issue. What was the problem with the strap?:confused: Just curious

It sounds to me like you dealt with the issue well by keeping your head, but you shouldn't be having that big a problem with your tank strap. I think you need to get that thing on tighter. It helps to get it really wet before putting it on the tank.

parrothead600:
You stated that you diagnosed & remedied the tank strap issue. What was the problem with the strap?:confused: Just curious

It was a couple of things. The strap has aged, and the velcro on the tag end had tons of fur balls in it, reducing it's ability to stick and the second thing was a technique issue on my part. I was just sliding the strap over the tank, closing the clasp, then attaching the velcro. I now know to tighten then close and velcro.

It worked fine that way for 3 years of diving, but with the age, the old method stopped working effectively.

One common denominator that my friend pointed out to me. Each time I have had the strap problem, I have been using a painted tank. Mostly I rent raw AL80s. The painted tanks are much more slippery.

I also understand the whole "buddy point" but for the last 3 years, 90% of my dives are spearfishing dives, and the buddy system has to be relaxed a bit to do that effectively. I am used to (safe or not) being alone in the water.

You may need to practice but what you really need is a tank strap that does not release so easily. You need a new BC, one with dual cambands. N

Nemrod:
You may need to practice but what you really need is a tank strap that does not release so easily. You need a new BC, one with dual cambands. N

I was going to recommend a BP/W or at least dual cam bands. :wink:

Michael

dittohead:
Well done. Keeping you head about you was the most important thing. I used to assist with classes, and that was always our biggest problems. People not remaining calm.

I am at that fragile place in the evolution of my diving where I am very comfortable with myself in the water, yet with not enough experience with true underwater challenges. These last few dives did a couple of good things for me, they helped me gain confidence in dealing with issues and gave me a wake up call that I may be getting a bit over-confident.

I like the way you think dear sir. I have a few friends that want me to dive the Big "O" out of Pensacola FL but, I know with my little bit of trainning and inexperience, I know that I am NOT ready for it. Ok? So get a DM, no thanks. (No offense to DMs.) The money I'd spend on the trip and a DM, I'd rather spend on trainning. Call me silly but, I'd much rather train than go dive anything right now.

Kuddos to you, keep it up!

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom