Quarry Diving questions from an ocean diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My quarry is only open early April to late October. Have to drive 5-6 hours to find one that is open year round, as I did 3 weeks ago.

And you are how many hours from the great lakes?

1-2 hours from Hammond, IN or Milwaukee boats, 6 hours from Port Sanilac, MI, 8 hours from Alpena, MI, or the Straits of Mackinac.

The Lakes are really only able to be dived from early-mid May to late September. Lots of blow outs in April and October.

We in the Rocky Mountain region are losing one of the best dive technical diving sites in the many state region next month when a new owner takes charge. He is apparently not interested in allowing diving anyway, but if he were to change his mind and allow it, he would have to find some way to control the access. Someone somewhere would have to accept waivers, give out permits, accept payment, etc.
I've tried everything legal to convince the owners of my favorite (favorite == only quarry that I like) quarry to allow me to dive solo with a gate card 24/7 365. I'll sign anything and disavow all family ties (legally). If I die it is totally on me. I'll pay for the clean-up but nothing more. :wink:

Maybe have your guy talk to my gal: joyatobias@yahoo.com. She is sympathetic but terrified of the legal consequences. There just has to be a way to dive on private property with absolutely no possibility of litigation from divers, family, or special interest groups.

Have we truly become a nation of sheep?

The current owner of the property is absolutely terrified about potential liability and has done all she can to protect herself. She likes the income more than she fears the liability, though, so we can dive. The new owner apparently has no interest in the income, though, so he has no personal reason to deal with whatever hassle may be involved.

I've tried everything legal to convince the owners of my favorite (favorite == only quarry that I like) quarry to allow me to dive solo with a gate card 24/7 365. I'll sign anything and disavow all family ties (legally). If I die it is totally on me. I'll pay for the clean-up but nothing more. :wink:

Maybe have your guy talk to my gal: joyatobias@yahoo.com. She is sympathetic but terrified of the legal consequences. There just has to be a way to dive on private property with absolutely no possibility of litigation from divers, family, or special interest groups.

Have we truly become a nation of sheep?
There is no such thing in this country as "no possibility of litigation." There is only making it difficult to win, and thus discouraging actions, and
minimizing cost and effort to defend if it happens anyway.

There is no such thing in this country as "no possibility of litigation."
Exactly.

So for those who have a real life and don't depend on secondary interests for income, they are well justified in being overly cautious.

There should be a legal catch bucket for this, sign something to disavow any and all liability. But such a category would have no value to lawyers. Therefore, it will never happen. We all know were the problem lies...

Ours is open all year and around the clock....but you have to pay a fee yearly for a key to the gate and no solo diving.

The trade off is you can go whenever you want and it’s well maintained and a great place to train and try out new gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom