Quantity of Tank fills in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank fills are usually cheaper at local dive shops than you can fill them for yourself if you have to run an onboard generator. Look into a hookah system for those remote dive locations. Are you rescue certified? Happy sailing. Let me know if you are taking on hitchhikers.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Thanks for the infor guys... I didn't know they had an electric compressor. Might have to look into that. As I dont think it will be a big deal to make a longer air fill. As long as I have the 4 tanks we can switch anyways from.

I am actually a Dive Master and have worked with the local dive shop for a couple of years. Gonna pick up some work with the dive shops down there. From what I have heard, they need DM's and the DM's work for tip's... my tip will be free air fills. ha ha

House goes on the market for sale next week...

Yeah, we have been checking out the San Blas Islands... they look pretty incredible. Cant wait!

When you get to Panama, there are better places to dive in the Caribbean than the San Blas Islands. I think the best is Bocas del Toro, which further west, near Costa Rica. Depending on the time of year, the diving ranges from shallow reefs (15' to 45') to the deeper wall and opportunities to the larger critters. The coral and the variety of macro life in the lee side reefs are impressive. The reefs here are much healthier than San Blas.

I have dove with a couple of the operators in Bocas. But, I would recommend filling your tanks with only one: Bocas Water Sports. The owner is a frequent poster here on SB, CappyJon431. Bocas is also the place where people sail into and never leave.

Closer to the Canal is Portobelo. There is decent diving here, but it has a lot to see on land, too. Portobelo is one of Panama's most historically important towns. It was Spain's Atlantic-side port where all the Inca gold and silver was loaded onto the galleons for the voyage to Spain. At one time, the Customs House (now a small museum) held over 1/3 of the world's wealth. Sir Francis Drake tried to attack Portobelo and died in the process (from dysentery). He's buried somewhere near Drake Island in a lead coffin. Anyway, it's worth walking through the old Spanish forts and exploring the town.

Again, depending on the time of year, you can dive the shallower reefs and/or the wall. Visibility is about as good as Bocas, but the variety of fish, critters and coral doesn't match what Bocas offers. If you want to see the wall in either place, you need to plan your arrival between the end of August and the end of November. That's when the winds are calm enough to dive beyond the leeward protection of the islands.

I would recommend either Scubapanama or Panama Divers for tank fills. Scubapanama will be more convient and closer to the dive sites.

If you do go through the Canal, you might consider diving Coiba. I haven't dove there, yet, but it's said to be world-class with lots of big stuff -- mantas, black tip and hammerheads, whale sharks and sometimes whales. The diver operators are based in Pedasi and Santa Catalina.

Check out Downtimecat.blogspot.com

I met Pete and Daria when they came ashore for air fills in Roatan. I'm sure you can get some valuable info as they are currently sailing.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

Back
Top Bottom