Quality, low-priced regs (cheap regs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234:
umm...why not shop ebay?

I did.

I now have a complete, fairly high-performance US Divers reg stuck together from various components from eBay, that cost me less than a new entry-level reg: SE2 first stage/Pro Diver second stage/recent model Aqua Lung Octo/gauge console-computer from one of my old regs. The only piece that was a waste was the Pro Diver first stage because I learned to my dismay that it was one of the few modern USD models that are no longer supported.

If you know what you're doing you can take that mix & match approach. Otherwise I say definitely look at eBay, specifically for used reg setups by reputable brands. For the sake of longtime support, plus that they've got excellent reps as bulletproof and high performance regs, I'd stick with USD and Scubapro. Old USD regs seem to go for less than Scubapros; I've seen plenty of '80s and early '90s era Conshelfs go for less than $100 for a first, second, octo, and gauges. Beware of regs that are too old, though, ie those first stages that have wing-type yoke screws and not enough ports. Either way, do your research, no matter where or how you buy your gear. Good luck!

Oh, and if no one mentioned it already, avoid used Dacor regs like the plague. eBay is infested with loads of old Dacor regs for crazy cheap--people undoubtedly unloading them because they've found that they can't get annual, or ANY, service for them anymore. They're essentially scuba-gear-shaped paperweights. Don't bite...er buy it.

cheers

Billy S.

Billy,
Do you maintain your regulators by yourself, even ScubaPro reg.?

hoosier:
Billy,

No, but there are a couple of shops around Columbus that service one or both brands. I got my USD rig serviced for only $15...they said it, or part of it, was still covered under warranty (!).

Eventually I'd like to learn how to do my own servicing.

cheers

Billy S.

Nemrod:
Get yourself the cheapest Mares sets you can find. Get brand new ones for a dive sho or online store. Even when you upgrade--if you do--- these will make nice back up units.

i think the mares is the best of what you've listed. but i don't agree with Nemrod's statement. My buddy bought the mr12, i paid more and bought the v16 proton from larry at scubatoys, he was laughing at me spending more. First dive past 100 my reg is still breathing fine, his is groaning, stuttering, and just not breathing right at all. It;s been in the shop twice and still doesn't work right, he ends up breathing off his octo if we get deep. The v16 proton is a good reg for what you want, i just switched from mine, diving an apeks now, but that because i want to a differnt type of diving.

Larry has an excellent price on the V16, if i were you i'd take it

Los36:
Just as an update: Larry set my wife and I up with a couple of Envoy Deluxes. We're going to try them out this weekend @ CSSP in Terrell.
Yeah, I spent more than I had planned to when I originally started this thread, but I had already decided that before I stepped into Scubatoys.
I gotta thank Larry for his patience, suggestions and service!

Great! Have fun and stay safe!!! I think my next regulator purchase may come from Larry with all I've seen from this board.

Which one is in your mind? I have thought that you are "Poseidon" guy.
icosm14.gif

Poseidon8118:
Great! Have fun and stay safe!!! I think my next regulator purchase may come from Larry with all I've seen from this board.

hoosier:
Billy,

Can't speak for Moogyboy, but I service my own Conshelfs. I took my first rebuilt XIV out to the pool this week. It breathed great. Next stop is a nearby lake, for a 30-50ft test dive.

Moogyboy:
Beware of regs that are too old, though, ie those first stages that have wing-type yoke screws and not enough ports.

True, if you are going to use them. If you forego a power inflated BC, then you are alright. I have 2 Conshelf XI's(2 lp, 1hp), and they breathe great. They also make great pony bottle regs. And the Conshelf series from the XI on up(not sure about the earlier models, never had one) use the same repair kit, which are still available.

But I changed my mind. Don't buy old Conshelfs off of ebay. I am tired of being outbid :wink:

That I've noticed you will find someone to badmouth just about any reg. Conversely, you'll find someone that loves it. I have a Mares V16 Proton Metal and love it. Breathes great at 10' or 110'. As for those that hate Mares...I do not know what to tell you. Something to bear in mind when you read responses is that many of the divers here are hardcore tek types that do not differentiate between warm water rec diving and technical diving. i.e. "posiden is the only way to go..." This is not intended to be negative to anyone so please don't bite my head off. just my 2 cents.

I just purchased a used Mares /Swimaster MR12 off Ebay for $25 with a Dacor air/depth gauge .... breaths fine but letting my LDS do a clean and check for $40

cheapest regulators to be found will be at Leisurepro .... your choice of OCEANIC ALPHA 7 , MARES R2 AXIS , OR DACOR EAGLE ...... your choice ... $99.95 ..... other shops may meet their price (ScubaToys for one) but you have to ask ....

Back
Top Bottom