Quadra Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Thanks for the report. I always like to hear about relatively local diving options!
You really need to go ... the walls there are incredible.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Darnold9999:
Off to Barkely Sound Friday with Rendevous. Hope the weather cooperates!!
Another of my favorite "local" getaways ... only been up there once since Peter and Kathy took over, and that was when they first arrived.

Favorite dives up there would be the VanLene and Renate's Reef ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Another of my favorite "local" getaways ... only been up there once since Peter and Kathy took over, and that was when they first arrived.

Favorite dives up there would be the VanLene and Renate's Reef ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good to know. Met Peter a few months back and was impressed so very much looking forward to it! and if the weather forecast is to be believed we will have sun for at least part of the weekend:14:

Hi Darnold 9999,
I just got back from a sailboat trip at Quadra (among other places). We were there in Aug. If you ever have the time for a car ride to Heriot Bay and Rebecca Spit (Drew Harbour) the spit is a nice walk and picnic spot.

I dove the Saskatchewan in Nanaimo several times and on Snake Is. wall.
I really wanted to dive the Columbia while at Quadra after having such a fantastic time in Nanaimo but our pre-arranged moorage at Drew Harbour didn't pan out.

Is there any partilcular time when the viz on the Columbia is best outside of winter months? The viz in Georgia Strait on the Saskatchewan was 50-60ft. and I would've thought the Seymour Narrows area's currents would provide similar viz...guess not. Sorry your viz/dive was so disappointing. It made me feel a bit better having to skip that adventure this time.

Any pics from your Columbia dive-sounds like it wasn't worth trying to get shots?
I'd like to see what I missed....for now.

Thanks, Jim

jim T.:
I dove the Saskatchewan in Nanaimo several times and on Snake Is. wall.
I really wanted to dive the Columbia while at Quadra after having such a fantastic time in Nanaimo but our pre-arranged moorage at Drew Harbour didn't pan out.

Is there any partilcular time when the viz on the Columbia is best outside of winter months?
I've dived both and IMO, the Saskatchewan is a much better dive than the Columbia. Saskatchewan has so much more growth on it and a lot less silt than the Columbia. The Columbia is in an out of the current location so while it diveable regardless of the tides, it doesn't get the nutrients washed over it like the Saskatchewan does.

Thanks diveborg. Sorry it took me so long to respond. Was out...diving!
Well, maybe I'll continue to choose the Saskatchewan and Breton (which I haven't dove yet) over the Columbia if viz is that bad most of the time...on future sailboating adventures.

Jim - also out diving - Barkely Sound - spectacular weekend. Seals, Elephant seals, Sea lions, Humpback whale(small), bears, bald eagles, dead flat calm and sunshine - and then there was the diving! Once I get the pictures sorted out I will do a proper trip report. No great surface pics - hard to get a photo of a whale even 20 yards away with a 60mm lens on the camera:huh:

Diveborg is spot on. the Columbia is a dive you can do pretty much whatever the current/tide. Something that is NOT the case with most Quadra Island dives. Would not go out of my way to dive it, the Sask is a much better dive IMHO. The QuadraRed pic is from the Columbia. Nothing that would give you any idea of the dive the vis was so bad only macro shots were possible and most of those had so much backscatter and silt that I tossed them.

Spent an afternoon SI on Rebecca Spit, as you say a very nice picnic spot.

That's what I've been hearing/gathering....Barkely Sound is on my "to do" list.
I've wanted to take our boat "outside" and see the broken group, but my first rate first mate isn't into blue water boating (although she's great on the inside passage) so a dive trip will eventually come to pass so I can finally see it.

Have you done more than one dive on the Columbia? The pic you mentioned-is it in your gallery? I couldn't access it via S.B. as "temporarily disabled"...

We used to spend a lot of time at Heriot Bay and Rebecca Spit back in the 80's when it was far more "counter cultural" than it is these days. We live in WA state but sailed up that way every summer for 25 yrs.

Glad your trip was great!

Jim - you can see the pic in my first post of this thread. Just a red anenome - not much to see.

Just the one dive on the Columbia - passed on the second dive, but I am not a huge wreck fan anyway.

Not suggesting you not do the dive, just that the Sask is better. Another factor in the low vis was the fact that we were the last divers on the wreck - of a group of 16 divers. This wreck is covered in silt and 16 divers are going to stir it up at pretty much any level of skill.

Understand re blue water getting to the broken group. Would think twice about that run, the weather can get nasty in short order and you are very exposed. It is a pretty short run however so weather forecasts are pretty reliable. Once you get there it is pretty protected water and quite spectacular.

In some places the "counter culture" is still alive and kicking up here.:D Not quite the same, but similar.

Nice report and pics. It's good to see what I'll be getting into within the next two months. I'm moving to Vic and am looking forward to some colorfull dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom