Quad mount video lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone tried using four video lights, and if so in what configuration? I've seen Peter Walker's posts on wetpixel where he used 3 Sola 1200s. I remember years ago seeing a post where someone used four D-2000 strobes. I presently have two Sola 1200s, and am considering adding another pair of Sola 1200s or 2000s and mounting two on each side via a three way clamp (I use ULCS arms). Sticking with the Solas would allow me to carry a single type of charger, and another pair would be on the order of 50% less expensive, albeit less powerful, than going to the Sola 4000s or other high power systems. I could potentially also get broader coverage with my WAL, and some increased redundancy. Other ideas include a center mount Sola 2000 with the 1200s on the wings. Has anyone toyed around with this idea?

Slingshot

I have used four video lights. I regularly use more than that, but that is handing off lights to other divers. Anyway, my four light setup consists of twin SOLA 1200's and L&M Sunray 1000's. Here is a pic.
e2y9evup.jpg

To call it homemade would be an extreme compliment. Like telling Michael Moore he is looking extra skinny today. It was assembled at a dive site. Lol

It worked great. I was able to flood the cave with an amazing amount of light. Combined with the other lights that were handed off, the video turned out beautiful! This was simply a test run to see if I would like the configuration. I now plan on building a much nicer rig with these same lights.

That's ugly as a Gorgon, but great improvisation. It's also interesting having the light heads arrayed both above and below the plane of your camera(s). Thanks very much, and I hope you post a photo of your new rig.

That's ugly as a Gorgon, but great improvisation. It's also interesting having the light heads arrayed both above and below the plane of your camera(s). Thanks very much, and I hope you post a photo of your new rig.

LOL!!!!! Beauty is in the eye of, ahh hell it's ugly no matter who looks at it!!! LOL!

I also run a Sony inside an AquaVideo housing, that I have drilled the wings and added the same setup to it. I hardly use it anymore though as it's simply to dang big. Once I build the final mount/tray I will make sure to post some pics.

Has anyone tried using four video lights, and if so in what configuration? I've seen Peter Walker's posts on wetpixel where he used 3 Sola 1200s. I remember years ago seeing a post where someone used four D-2000 strobes. I presently have two Sola 1200s, and am considering adding another pair of Sola 1200s or 2000s and mounting two on each side via a three way clamp (I use ULCS arms). Sticking with the Solas would allow me to carry a single type of charger, and another pair would be on the order of 50% less expensive, albeit less powerful, than going to the Sola 4000s or other high power systems. I could potentially also get broader coverage with my WAL, and some increased redundancy. Other ideas include a center mount Sola 2000 with the 1200s on the wings. Has anyone toyed around with this idea?

Slingshot

I'd sell the current stuff and use the proceeds toward 2 sola 4000s. Simplifies everything greatly, your kit gets smaller, lighter, more compact, easier to setup, easier to use, easier to charge and manage and you're starting over with brand new equipment for a reset of trouble free use.

I don't really know what the benefit to a quad setup is in the configuration aspect of it, I'd think it would be just the power output or coverage if you were doing something with super ultra wide angle lenses.

I don't know what a used Sola 1200 commands on the used market, but a Sola 4000 is about twice the price of a Sola 2000, and 2.5x the weight. So cost is an issue, as I could get into the 3200 lumen x 2 range with the addition of a pair of 2000s and have balanced light at about half the cost of a 4000 lumen x 2 system. With the 60 degree beam angle, I find that my two 1200s give slightly less than full field coverage with the Fathom 90 lens I use, so the option of more light heads is also a consideration. But I agree, your proposition would simplify the lights in use.

The setup from JamesK is cumbersome but it makes sense. The lights have to be distributed around the frame to have a benefit equally distant from the lens.
A set up with two lights wants the lights aligned with the lens
In professional video on land you see most times three points lighting however underwater this is not practical due to the lights being attached to the tray

However 4 lights yield little benefit as usually the field of view in video is 16:9 so the lights easily cover the frame vertically without too much trouble

I use three 2K Solas, I run the outer ones on high but keep the middle one on medium. It allows the lighting to stay even if my subject gets closer the side lights are out of frame and the middle light takes over.

Trip Lights.jpg

I use three 2K Solas, I run the outer ones on high but keep the middle one on medium. It allows the lighting to stay even if my subject gets closer the side lights are out of frame and the middle light takes over.

View attachment 152761

That will only work in good visibility, a bit of silt and it will be a sandstorm on film

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom