Q's about (best possible) DiveMaster training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(This is all just my own experience, & may be totally unlike anything else in the world):

Everyone I know who is in entry-level dive leadership training programs has a 1-on-1 mentor situation with an instructor-trainer. There is a certain amount of ego-investment for the mentors because they are conscious of the impression the new AI or DM will give of them as trainers. So things tend to move smoothly when you are just doing pool quals & book work. It looks like you are just about to finish, & then you get to the Open Water where you have to work under their leadership.

Every candidate I know wants to be the best they can be. However, the trainers can really strive to put personal touches on their demands. In at least 1 large certification organization, the trainer has the right to ask candidates to exceed minimum standards (within a reasonable range), and that is when things get a bit subjective. It's good to have requirements checked off a list in case the trainer "gets busy" with better-paying work in the middle of your test. That way, you can switch mentors if you must to keep your time goals.

I found that when I worked under a stressed instructor who set unreasonable schedules, did not plan according to real-world exigencies (ie: promised early morning dives to a student in a location where early morning air-fills were impossible), & overcommitted himself, the chaos led to an inability on my part to keep track of my own role in the activities. I got a little tired of "accepting responsibility" for promises he had made to students & could not fulfil. I have worked with others, too & concluded: "As he lives, so does he teach."

If I take my education further, I will consider many instructor trainer factors already mentioned by other divers here, but also seek out a personality type likely to harmonize with my character pluses & minuses rather than to grind against them. The best trainer for me is a decisive leader with a concise, compact lecture style & a firm, instantaneous feedback system. You may prefer another style.

:)

Let me put it this way...

Given the choice, would you have wanted to take your (or better yet, a loved one's) OpenWater course from someone who is brand-new and zipped right thru the program themselves, or from someone who has been at it for a long time and has seen most (but not all, because we're NEVER going to see everything) of it all before?

I think the consensus is for the practical application to win-out. We have to get kicked out of the nest at some time, and begin to actually start really learning, but that doesn't mean we're ready to leap tall buildings right away (heck, I still slam into 'em once in a while). We need to take a reasonable and humble approach to gain that practical knowledge that CANNOT be learned in a classroom or out of a book.

Be glad you have the opportunity to take it slow, it'll be in your favor later.

Oh, and congratulations (a little early) too!

Scenario 1, 2 weeks DM course where DM candidates assists in classes where participants are staff of dive shop pretending to be students.

Scenario 2, 2 months, DM candidate gets all opportunities to assist with real students in real classes/training dives, not once but many times.

It's very obvious that Scenario 2 seems to better prepare a candidate for a real job in the real world.

By the way, O-RING:

I have seen them recently in diving...I know a couple people who did OW in March and are already working on their DM and I was recently in a class with a DM whose skills were absolutely piss poor...what does that prove? What we already knew..that from most agencies you can buy a c-card...

Are you referring to the instructor or the agency?

If you feel that you will be ready to look after divers after a 2 week course, that's up to you.

Personally, I was so scared of being a DM in a situation where someone would panic and I wouldn't be able to help them that I took 3 months solid full time to do my DM. When I started, I'd never seen people really panic before and it rooted me to the spot. At least now I would be able to do something to help them but it takes time and experience.

Also, it's the one PADI course where you have flexibility. Take advantage of it! In some dive centres, you can take as long as you want, learn as much as you want, do as many dives as you want. Some people call it slave labour, but if you have the time and you like the centre, it's actually GREAT VALUE for money.

There are a thousand unpredictable things that OW students can do to surprise you. Real panic is different that simulated situations. I doubt that a classroom pool session would have given me the answer to 2 students bolting as they turned corners round the kelp on a night dive (where single-file swimming is necessary.) Some of the problem-solving is in the confidence gained by experience.

As has been stated time and again any training is only as good as the trainer and/or school. Any C Card you recieve will be viewed skeptically until your skills and experience level are demonstrated to your new employer first hand.

A two week course at an intense school/resort could theoretically offer more hours on dive boats with students and better instruction in class (as they specialize in these ratings and instructing future professionals) than six months in the wrong shop or under someone who is not a gifted teacher.

In my case I am not interested in becoming dive professional but am thinking about diving a resort that has fabulous diving and a good school. Very inexpensively I could further my dive education for my own use. As an advanced diver with stress and rescue training I have been glad to have that knowledge as unfortunately, I have had to use it. One cannot have too many emergency skills...

For me the two weeks is the right way for time considerations and purpose...only you can decide what is right for you...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have seen them recently in diving...I know a couple people who did OW in March and are already working on their DM and I was recently in a class with a DM whose skills were absolutely piss poor...what does that prove? What we already knew..that from most agencies you can buy a c-card...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, O-RING:
Are you referring to the instructor or the agency?

newwavedivers,
Good point...I hadn't thought about it that way. I won't say the agency, but the reqs for certification are similar for most and I suppose it is up to the instructor to police those and determine who is ready for DM and who is not. Can't really blame the agency here...the reqs for DM are what they are...set. If instructors are rushing people through them to sell classes, that is the instructor showing his/her poor judgment.

While experience is critical and training essential to minimum standards level of Divemaster the intangibles that really determine how "good" someone eventually becomes is going to be dependent on factors that go beyond training.

To me a great divemaster has great people skills (you can't help but like them), people reading skills (know who to watch on the dive), eyes in the back of the head (second sense), x-ray vision (finds the cool stuff even when in an unfamiliar place) and makes sure that they are doing all that superhuman stuff effortlessly. Lastly the divemaster has enthusiasm and love for scuba diving and people...

That my friends, is often genetic material and great personality and the training is only what makes them shine...

Our DM program is currently (for the most part) by invitation only. DM's sometimes become instructors and I see too many lousy instructors. Too many want to be a DM so they have a card to prove that they know everything. I was fooled by that once, but I learned. The last DM that I trained and the candidates I currently have are truely impressing me. The are better than I was ( by far). I don't believe in marketing the DM program, I want people to seek it out. No matter how good a diver is not all should be DM's.

and in times long ago that was the norm...being invited to train for DM was an honor as most instructors felt that DM's were a direct reflection on them. The Dive Industry was smaller and people in it usually knew eachother and that helped keep the industry standards up.

As we know that is no longer the case and c card designations are no guarantee of anything except the person invested some money and time to acquire it.

DM ratings can be purchased for as little as $500.00 and 10 days time...that was unheard of years ago!

The disparity in competence that is common within the Dive Industry makes it all the more important that divers and their buddies be proficient in their emergency skills. Depending on an unknown DM in a remote 3rd World Country to be able to handle your emergency at a 100 ft. could be a gamble that you don't want to take.

Back
Top Bottom